The City of Estell Manor is governed by a Mayor-Council form of government as provided by New Jersey law. Other enabling laws relevant to this chapter are R.S. 2A:8-3, Intermunicipal Court; R.S. 40:55-36, Zoning Board of Adjustment; R.S. 40:55-1.4, Planning Board; R.S. 26:3-1, et seq., Board of Health.
This book shall be known and may be cited as "The Revised General Ordinances of the City of Estell Manor, 1974," and is herein referred to as the "revision."
For the purpose of this revision, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
- CLERK or CITY CLERK
- The municipal clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- An organizational unit of the city government established or designated by ordinance or this revision as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the city government assigned to such organizational unit by the city council.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this revision, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- The City of Estell Manor in the County of Atlantic and State of New Jersey.
- CITY COUNCIL or COUNCIL
- The governing body of the city.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this revision.
For the purpose of this revision and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural, the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday, or a day on which the offices of the city are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this revision, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
"Chapter" shall mean one of the major divisions of the revision identified by a Roman numeral and divided by subject matter.
"Section" shall mean a major subdivision of a chapter.
"Subsection" shall mean a subdivision of a section, identified by a decimal number.
"Paragraph" shall mean a subdivision under a subsection, identified by an alphabetical letter and/or Arabic number.
If any chapter, section, subsection or paragraph of this revision shall be declared to be unconstitutional, invalid or inoperative, in whole or in part, by a court of competent jurisdiction, such chapter, section, subsection or paragraph shall, to the extent that it is not unconstitutional, invalid or inoperative, remain in full force and effect, and no such determination shall be deemed to invalidate the remaining chapters, sections, subsections or paragraphs of this revision.