[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town of Canton 12-2-1971 by Ord. No. 93. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Discarded motor vehicles and discarded motor vehicle parts, as hereinafter defined, are prohibited within the limits of the Town.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- DISCARDED MOTOR VEHICLE
- A motor vehicle located on private property for a period of 30 consecutive days which is:
- A. Inoperative and no longer intended to be rendered operative; or
- B. Unregistered and not in condition for legal use on the public highways and is in such a condition as to create a blighting or deteriorating effect on the public landscape or nearby private property or is otherwise a public nuisance or a safety hazard.
- DISCARDED MOTOR VEHICLE PARTS
- Used parts of motor vehicles or old iron, metal, glass, paper cordage, or other waste, discarded, or secondhand material which has been a part or is intended to be a part of any motor vehicle, located on private property for a period of 30 consecutive days, provided that any such parts or materials are not lawfully stored within a garage, building, or structure.
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- Any vehicle propelled or drawn by any power other than muscular, to include but not be limited to automobiles, trucks, buses, tractors, trailers, motorcycles, and like vehicles.
This chapter shall not apply to discarded motor vehicles and discarded motor vehicle parts located on the property of a motor vehicle recycler licensed in accordance with §§ 14-67g through 14-67w of the General Statutes or permitted under any exemption to such licensing requirement.
Any owner of a discarded motor vehicle or of discarded motor vehicle parts and any owner of property or person in possession of property on which a discarded motor vehicle or discarded motor vehicle parts are located shall be subject to a fine of $25 per day for each day that such condition continues, commencing 30 days after the Town has given written notice to remove to such owner or person, as hereinafter provided. Each additional day shall constitute a new and separate offense, punishable hereunder.
When it is determined that a discarded motor vehicle or discarded motor vehicle parts are located on private property, the Town may notify the person in possession or control of such property and the owner of such property, and also the owner of said vehicle or parts, if known, in writing by registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, to remove said vehicle or parts and shall also provide for notice in a newspaper having a substantial circulation in the Town of Canton. If such person or owner has not caused the removal of said vehicle or parts within 30 days after receipt of said notification, the Town may cause said motor vehicle to be removed to a licensed motor vehicle recycler or to an area authorized by proper authority for impoundment and retention or for disposal of such vehicles and parts. The Town shall have the right to collect the cost incurred in removing and disposing of such vehicles or parts from the owner of said vehicle or parts or from the person in possession or control of the property or the owner of the property from which said vehicle or parts were removed.
Prior to removal of any discarded motor vehicle as provided for in the foregoing section, the Chief of Police shall give written notification to the State Commissioner of Transportation of the issuance, by the Town, of the aforementioned notices, such notification to include the location of the vehicle, the identification number if available, and such other description or identification of the vehicle as may assist in establishing the legal ownership of the vehicle.
The Chief of Police shall be responsible for the giving of all notices required by this chapter and for removal and disposition of motor vehicles or parts.
[Added 9-25-2002 by Ord. No. 216]
This chapter has been specifically designated for enforcement by citations issued by designated municipal officers or employees, and the citation hearing procedure established by Chapter 15, Citations, of this Code shall be followed.