[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Stillwater 3-7-1991 by L.L. No. 1-1991. Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be cited and may be referred to hereinafter as the "Littering and Dumping Law of the Town of Stillwater."
For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall be defined as follows:
- Putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food and material such as paper, cardboard, wood, cloth, food cans, glass containers and bottles.
- Any person, employee, servant, agent, firm, partnership, association, company or organization or entity of any kind.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Includes parking areas, rights-of-way, parks, trails, grounds or other public areas.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes including garbage, rubbish and ashes.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes including ashes, consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes such as yard clippings, metals, wood, glass, bedding, crockery, household appliances, shopping carts, automobiles or parts thereof, construction debris, demolition debris and similar materials.
- Includes any public street, roadway, highway, lane or alleyway.
No person shall deposit, throw, cast, lay or suffer or permit any other person to deposit, throw, cast or lay any waste, litter, rubbish, refuse, garbage, debris, construction debris, demolition debris, discarded objects, materials and/or matter of any type on any street or public place in the Town.
No person shall abandon or discard or cause or suffer any other person to abandon or discard any article or thing including, but not limited to, shopping carts or shopping wagons, baskets, crates, boxes, cartons, yard supplies, household appliances, automobiles or parts thereof, machinery or equipment, rubbish, refuse or garbage in any street or public place in the Town.
No person, being the owner, driver or manager of an automobile or other vehicle shall deposit, scatter, blow, drop, spill or permit to be deposited, scattered, blown, dropped or spilled any dirt, gravel, sand, clay, loam, stone or building rubbish or materials, shavings, rubbish, litter, waste materials, automobiles or parts thereof, machinery, refuse or garbage therefrom upon any street or public place in the Town. Town Highway Department personnel performing assigned highway work shall not be considered in violation of the terms of this section or any other section of this chapter.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of a violation punishable as follows:
For the first offense, imprisonment for a period not to exceed 15 days, or by fine, the minimum of which shall be $50 and the maximum of which shall be $1,000 and appropriate community service related to solid waste management and cleanup for a period not to be less than eight hours.
For a second and subsequent offense, imprisonment for a period not to exceed 30 days, or by fine, the minimum of which shall be $100 and the maximum of which shall be $1,000 and appropriate community service related to solid waste management and cleanup for a period not to be less than 16 hours.