§ 372-3Idling prohibited.
§ 372-4Violations and penalties.
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings:
- DIESEL-POWERED MOTOR VEHICLE
- A vehicle which is self-propelled by a compression-ignition-type of internal combustion engine and which is designed primarily for transporting persons or property on a public street or highway.
- GASOLINE-FUELED MOTOR VEHICLE
- Any motor vehicle equipped to be powered by a hydrocarbon fuel other than diesel fuel, but including alcohol fuels and hydrocarbon-alcohol fuel blends.
- The motor vehicle operating mode consisting of a nonleaded, throttled engine speed at the revolutions per minute specified by the manufacturer or at any other engine speed.
For purposes of this chapter, noncommercial passenger vehicles and motorcycles are excluded.
No person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the engine of a diesel-powered or gasoline-fueled motor vehicle to idle for more than five consecutive minutes if the vehicle is not in motion.
The provisions of Subsection A above shall not apply to:
Autobuses while discharging or picking up passengers;
Motor vehicles stopped in a line of traffic;
Motor vehicles whose primary and/or secondary power source is utilized in whole or in part for necessary and definitively prescribed mechanical operation other than propulsion, passenger compartment heating or air conditioning;
Motor vehicles being or waiting to be examined by state or federal motor vehicle inspectors;
Emergency motor vehicles in an emergency situation;
Motor vehicles while being repaired;
Motor vehicles while engaged in the process of connection, detachment or exchange of trailers; or