[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of the Township of Easttown 5-17-1965 by Ord. No. 66; amended in its entirety at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I). Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
Solid waste; recycling; open burning — See Ch. 377.
This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Township of Easttown Anti-Litter Ordinance."
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- AUTHORIZED PRIVATE RECEPTACLE
- A litter storage and collection receptacle to be used by residents and visitors to Easttown Township to convey litter to trash haulers for collection.
- Garbage, refuse, rubbish, and all other waste material which, if discarded as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to the health, safety and welfare of the public.
- Any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- PRIVATE PREMISES
- Any dwelling, house, building or other structure designed or used, either wholly or in part, for private residential purposes, whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, and shall include the yard, grounds, and driveway belonging or appurtenant to such dwelling, house, building, or other structure.
- PUBLIC BUILDING
- Any facility either owned or leased by Easttown Township, the Easttown-Tredyffrin School District, the County of Chester, or any other public agency; except, however, a "public building" shall not be defined to include any facilities operated by the County of Chester for correctional or penal purposes.
- PUBLIC GROUNDS
- Any grounds owned or leased by Easttown Township, the Easttown-Tredyffrin School District, the County of Chester, or any other public agency; except, however, a "public ground" shall not be defined to include any facilities operated by the County of Chester for correctional or penal purposes.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys or other public ways and any and all public grounds and public buildings.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid waste (excluding body waste), including garbage, rubbish, cigarette butts, cigar butts, other tobacco residue, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and other waste.
- Nonputrescible solid waste consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper wrappings, cigarettes and cigarette butts, cigars and cigar butts, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
- The Township of Easttown, Chester County, Pennsylvania.
No person shall throw, deposit or discard litter in or upon any street, sidewalk, public place or public grounds within the Township, except in public receptacles and authorized private receptacles for collection.
Private receptacles shall be maintained by the property and/or business owner placing the private receptacle, which said maintenance shall include a secure lid, as well as a means to prevent the receptacle from tipping over and spreading litter.
A person placing litter in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles shall do so in such a manner as to prevent it from being carried or deposited by any means upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or grounds or upon private property.
No person shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place or grounds within the Township the accumulation of any litter from any building or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying property shall keep any sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
No person owning or occupying a place of business shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the Township the accumulation of litter from any building or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying places of business within the Township shall keep any sidewalk in front of their business premises free of litter.
No person shall throw or deposit and/or discard litter in any park or public grounds within the Township, except in public receptacles and in such manner that the litter will be prevented from being carried or deposited by any means upon any part of the park or upon any street or other public place. Where public receptacles are not provided, all such litter shall be carried away from the park or public grounds by the person responsible for its presence and properly disposed of elsewhere.
No person shall throw, deposit or discard litter in any pond, lake or stream or any other body of water in the Township.
No person shall throw, discard or deposit litter on any private property within the Township, whether owned by such person or not, except that the owner or person in control of private property may maintain authorized private receptacles for collection in such manner that litter will be prevented from being carried, discarded or deposited by any means upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or any private property.
The owner or person in control of any private property shall at all times maintain the premises free of litter; provided, however, that this section shall not prohibit the storage of litter in authorized private receptacles for collection.
Any person who violates or permits a violation of this chapter shall, upon conviction in a summary proceeding brought before a Magisterial District Judge under the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure, be guilty of a summary offense and shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000, plus costs of prosecution, including reasonable attorneys' fees. In default of payment thereof, the defendant may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days. Each day or portion thereof that such violation continues or is permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense, and each section of this chapter that is violated shall also constitute a separate offense.