[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Sweden as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Ambulance Service Providers
[Adopted 12-28-2010 by L.L. No. 1-2011]
The Town of Sweden is served by more than one provider of Ambulance Services. In some instances, it may be in the best interest of the Town that more than one provider of such services is authorized to provide such services within an area of the Town. The purpose of this article is to establish rules and regulations with respect to Ambulance Service within the Town of Sweden not including the incorporated Village of Brockport.
This article shall be know as "A Local Law Regulating Ambulance Services in the Town of Sweden."
This article is adopted pursuant to the authority contained in Town Law § 184, Town Law § 64, General Municipal Law § 122-b and Article 2 of the Municipal Home Rule Law.
The following words, terms, or phrases, many of which would not normally be capitalized are capitalized in this article. The intent of this capitalization is to call attention to the fact that the word, term or phrase is a defined term. For the purpose of this article, the following shall mean:
- AMBULANCE SERVICE
- An entity which provides pre-hospital emergency medical treatment or transporting sick or injured persons found within the boundaries of the municipality to a hospital, clinic, sanatorium or other place for treatment of such illness or injury.
- EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
- The division of the Monroe County Department of Public Safety which is responsible for 911 calls, dispatch of emergency service equipment, and relay or transfer of service calls to the appropriate public services agencies, including police, fire and emergency services.
- PRIMARY RESPONDER
- The Ambulance Service designated herein to be the first one contacted by the Emergency Communications Department in the event Ambulance Services are required.
- An Ambulance Service.
- TOWN BOARD
- The Town Board of the Town of Sweden. Where applicable, the term shall refer to the Town Board of the Town of Sweden acting for the Sweden Fire Protection District.
- The person for whom Ambulance Service is provided.
In areas of the Town not otherwise served by Fire Districts, the Town Board shall, by contract, provide for Ambulance Service.
Unless a contract for Ambulance Service provides for exclusivity, or otherwise provided for by law, the Town Board may contract with more than one provider of Ambulance Service in any part of the Town of Sweden.
In the event the Town Board has entered into contracts for Ambulance Service with more than one provider, the board shall, on or before December 31 of each and every year where this situation exists, by resolution, designate the primary responder for ambulance calls within the area covered by such contracts for the following year. In the event that the Town Board does not act on or before December 31, and should the contracts still exist, the designation of the primary responder for the previous year shall continue until December 31 of the following year.
Upon such designation, the Town Clerk and the primary responder shall notify the Emergency Communications Department of the designation.
The other Ambulance Service or Services shall be considered to be secondary responders and shall be called upon to provide the contracted service upon the inability of the primary responder to provide the service.
Nothing herein is intended to impair, alter or negate any mutual aid agreements among providers of Ambulance Service in the Town of Sweden.
The Ambulance Service providers designated by the Town Board may, if not otherwise prohibited by law, bill the User's health insurance provider and the User directly for the services provided by the Ambulance Service.
Each provider of Ambulance Services shall provide the Town Clerk with a copy of the schedule of fees that shall be available for inspection upon request.
The provisions of this article are hereby declared to be severable. If any provision, clause, sentence or paragraph of this article or the application thereof to any Person, establishment or circumstances shall be held invalid, such invalidity shall not affect the other provisions or application of this article.
This article shall be in full force and effect immediately after its final passage and adoption. All prior ordinances and parts of ordinances, resolutions and parts of resolutions and local laws and parts of local laws in conflict with this article are hereby repealed.