[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Port Jefferson 4-15-1971 as Ch. 39A of the 1970 Code; amended in its entirety 12-21-2015 by L.L. No. 6-2015. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- A. Any pistol or revolver;
- B. A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length;
- C. A rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length;
- D. Any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than 26 inches; or
- E. An assault weapon.
- HUNTING INSTRUMENT
- Any type of firearm, bow and arrow or mechanically propelled single or multiple pronged arrow, pike, blade, or harpoon.
No person shall discharge any hunting instrument, firearm, gun or air rifle or any gun so constructed as to discharge pellets, darts or BBs by spring, compressed air or compressed gas within the limits of the Village. This chapter shall not apply to police officers in the discharge of their duties or to any firing squad at a military funeral or to any properly constructed range approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety of the Village.
No firearm or gun covered by this chapter shall be carried in or through the Village unless they are completely contained within a case or other covering completely encompassing the firearm or gun.
Any person who violates this chapter or fails to comply with any of its requirements shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to the penalties provided in § 1-2 of the Code of the Village of Port Jefferson.