[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the Township of Springfield 5-10-2005 by Ord. No. 1435. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to protect and promote the public health, safety and welfare of residents within the Township and to establish the obligations of both owners and tenants of rental units within the municipality to maintain the quality of rental units by compliance with the provisions of this chapter and other applicable ordinances and/or regulations of the Township of Springfield.
As used in this chapter, the following words or phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
- A building containing two or more dwelling units such as a duplex, quadraplex or multiplex, whether having independent or common means of egress, including common areas.
- CERTIFICATE OF USE
- A statement signed by the Code Enforcement Officer setting forth that the use of a building, structure or lot legally complies with the applicable codes and regulations and that the same may be used for the purposes stated therein.
- Any code, ordinance and or regulation adopted or enacted
by the Township. Included herein shall be the International Property
Maintenance Code, 2015 Edition, and other reference standards excluding
the International Zoning Code.[Amended 8-11-2015 by Ord. No. 1559]
- CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
- The Director of Code Enforcement and/or a duly authorized agent of the Department of Code Enforcement or other duly authorized representative of the Township.
- Consists of two dwelling units rented, leased or let out.
- DWELLING UNIT
- A single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons functioning as a family, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation. A single-family dwelling and a condominium unit shall be considered a dwelling unit.
- Two or more persons living together as a single nonprofit housekeeping unit and doing their cooking on the premises; excluding, however, occupants of a club, fraternity house, lodge, dormitory, rooming house or nursing home which is not owned by the individuals.
- Owner, manager, agent or other responsible person in control of the rental or leased property(s).
- Consists of five or more dwelling units rented, leased or let out.
- The Township of Springfield located within the County of Delaware, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Shall consist of land, buildings, structures and other improvements for the use of operating a dwelling unit(s).
- Consists of four dwelling units rented, leased or let out.
No person, firm or corporation owning, managing, conducting and/or operating a dwelling unit(s) shall rent, lease, let out or permit the same to be occupied without first securing the following:
An annual certificate of use for each occupied dwelling unit issued pursuant to this chapter and other applicable ordinances, regulations and/or rules enacted by the municipality.
A certificate of use for every vacant dwelling unit issued pursuant to this chapter and other applicable ordinances, regulations and/or rules enacted by this municipality.
A new certificate of use shall be required whenever there is a change in ownership of the property or whenever there is a change of leasee(s).
The Code Enforcement Officer and/or his agent(s) are hereby authorized and directed to process all applications for certificates of use and, prior to the issuance of same, to determine that all the requirements of this chapter and all other applicable ordinances, regulations and/or rules enacted by this municipality are met.
Annual fees: See Ch. 40, Fee Schedule.
[Amended 12-9-2008 by Ord. No. 1486; 6-10-2014 by Ord. No. 1548]
Fee(s) must be paid when applying for the certificate of use.
The landlord of any dwelling unit which has been rented, leased, let out or rerented during any calendar year shall, on or before February 15 of the following year, file a list with the Code Department setting forth the total number of units, both occupied and unoccupied, as of December 31 of the reporting year and shall include the names of the tenants thereof.
Upon display of proper identification, the inspector is authorized to enter, examine and survey such units on weekdays between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. or at such time as may be necessary in an emergency or to verify a violation of any Township codes and/or regulations.
The Code Enforcement Officer, Health Officer and/or their agent(s) are authorized to make annual inspections of exterior and/or common areas.
Upon change of leasee and/or ownership, the dwelling unit(s) will be inspected.
Complaints will be followed up with an inspection.
At reasonable times, every occupant of a rented, leased or let out dwelling unit shall grant to the landlord, or his agents/employees, free access for the purpose of making repairs or alterations to comply with Township ordinances.
All information required to be procured and kept pursuant to this chapter shall be provided to any federal, state or local sworn law enforcement officer having the lawful power to arrest, upon demand of the officer and a representation by said officer, that a reasonable suspicion exists that such information is relevant to a then-pending inquiry or investigation. Nothing in this requirement shall be construed as giving any such officer any greater right or license to enter a dwelling unit or invade privacy than the officer shall otherwise possess as a matter of common law, probable cause, constitutional law, statutory right or warrant.
In addition to all other remedies and penalties provided by this chapter and other ordinances, the Township Solicitor shall bring suit in a court of competent jurisdiction to seek an injunction or other appropriate relief, to halt any violation of this chapter. Such action may include seeking a temporary restraining order or temporary injunction and other appropriate temporary relief. Nothing in this chapter shall be deemed to restrict a suit for damages on behalf of the Township or on behalf of any other person or entity.