[Adopted 10-11-2005 by Ord. No. 2005-39]
The purpose of this article is to establish requirements for the proper disposal of pet solid waste in Township of Hillsborough, so as to protect public health, safety and welfare, and to prescribe penalties for failure to comply.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this article clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- The pet solid waste is removed at once, without delay.
- Any person who shall possess, maintain, house or harbor any pet or otherwise have custody of any pet, whether or not the owner of such pet.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- A domesticated animal (other than a disability assistance animal) kept for amusement or companionship.
- PET SOLID WASTE
- Waste matter expelled from the bowels of the pet; excrement.
- PROPER DISPOSAL
- Placement in a designated waste receptacle, or other suitable container, and discarded in a refuse container which is regularly emptied by the municipality or some other refuse collector; or disposal into a system designed to convey domestic sewage for proper treatment and disposal.
All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet's solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by that person.
Any owner or keeper who requires the use of a disability assistance animal shall be exempt from the provisions of this article while such animal is being used for that purpose.
The provisions of this article shall be enforced by the Health Officer of the Township of Hillsborough.
Any person(s) who is found to be in violation of the provisions of this article shall be subject to, after being duly notified, imprisonment in the Somerset County Jail or in any place provided by the Township of the detention of prisoners, for any term not exceeding 90 days; or by a fine not exceeding $1,250; or by a period of community service not exceeding 90 days.
Each section, subsection, sentence, clause and phrase of this article is declared to be an independent section, subsection, sentence, clause and phrase, and the finding or holding of any such portion of this article to be unconstitutional, void or ineffective for any cause or reason shall not affect any other portion of this article.
This article shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and any publication as may be required by law.