[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Little Egg Harbor; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Animals — See Ch. 134.
When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this chapter clearly demonstrates a different meaning:
- The pet solid waste is removed at once, without delay.
- Any person who shall possess, maintain, house or harbor any pet or otherwise have custody of any pet, whether or not the owner of such pet.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- A domesticated animal (other than a disability assistance animal) kept for amusement or companionship.
- PET SOLID WASTE
- Waste matter expelled from the bowels of the pet; excrement.
- PROPER DISPOSAL
- Placement in a designated waste receptacle, or other suitable container, and discarded in a refuse container which is regularly emptied by the municipality or some other refuse collector; or disposal into a system designed to convey domestic sewage for proper treatment and disposal.
All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet's solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, unless said property is owned or possessed by said pet owner and/or keeper or permission has been granted from the owner of said private property.
Exemptions. Any owner or keeper who requires the use of a disability assistance animal shall be exempt from the provisions of this section while such animal is being used for that purpose.
Any person violating or failing to comply with any other provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,250, by imprisonment not to exceed 90 days or by community service of not more than 90 days, or any combination of fine, imprisonment and community service, as determined in the discretion of the Municipal Court Judge. The combination of such violation for each successive day shall constitute a separate offense, and the person or persons allowing or permitting the continuation of the violation may be punished as provided above for each separate offense.
The violation of any provisions of this chapter shall be subject to abatement summarily by a restraining order or injunction issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.