[HISTORY: Adopted by the Village Council of the Village of New Haven as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I School Property; Minors
[Adopted 12-18-2001 by Ord. No. 279]
Except as otherwise provided in Subsection C, a person shall not use a tobacco product on school property.
As used in this section, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- SCHOOL DISTRICT
- A school district, local act school district, or intermediate school district, as those terms are defined in the School Code of 1976, Act No. 451 of the Public Acts of 1976, MCLA §§ 380.1 to 380.1852; a joint high school district formed under Part 3a of Act No. 451 of the Public Acts of 1976, MCLA §§ 380.171 to 380.187; or a consortium or cooperative arrangement consisting of any combination of these.
- SCHOOL PROPERTY
- A building, facility or structure and other real estate owned, leased or otherwise controlled by a school district.
- TOBACCO PRODUCT
- A preparation of tobacco to be inhaled, chewed or placed in a person's mouth.
- USE OF A TOBACCO PRODUCT
- Any of the following:
Editor's Note: Part 3a of Act 451 was repealed by P.A. 1995, No. 289, § 2, effective 7-1-1996.
Subsection A of this section does not apply to that part of school property consisting of outdoor areas, including, but not limited to, an open-air stadium, during either of the following periods:
A person under 18 years of age shall not possess or smoke cigarettes or cigars, or possess or chew, suck or inhale chewing tobacco or tobacco snuff, or possess or use tobacco in any other form, on a public highway, street, alley, park or other land used for public purposes, or in a public place of business or amusement.
Tobacco shall not be sold or furnished to a person unless that person has attained 18 years of age. No person shall knowingly sell or furnish tobacco to any person who is less than 18 years of age, nor shall a seller of tobacco fail to make diligent inquiry as to whether the person to whom a sale is contemplated has attained 18 years of age.
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CHEWING TOBACCO
- Loose tobacco or a flat, compressed cake of tobacco which is inserted into the mouth to be chewed or sucked.
- TOBACCO SNUFF
- Shredded, powdered or pulverized tobacco which may be inhaled through the nostrils, chewed, or placed against the gums.
[Amended 1-13-2015 by Ord. No. 333]
Any person who violates this article is subject to the penalties forth in Chapter 59, Municipal Civil Infractions, of the Code of the Village of New Haven.