[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Netcong 5-11-2006 by Ord. No. 2006-11. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to establish requirements for the proper disposal of pet solid waste in Borough of Netcong, so as to protect public health, safety and welfare, and to prescribe penalties for failure to comply.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this chapter clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- The pet solid waste is removed at once, without delay.
- Any person who shall possess, maintain, house or harbor any pet or otherwise have custody of any pet, whether or not the owner of such pet.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- A domesticated animal (other than a disability assistance animal) kept for amusement or companionship.
- PET SOLID WASTE
- Waste matter expelled from the bowels of the pet; excrement.
- PROPER DISPOSAL
- Placement in a designated waste receptacle, or other suitable container, and discarded in a refuse container which is regularly emptied by the municipality or some other refuse collector; or disposal into a system designed to convey domestic sewage for proper treatment and disposal.
All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet's solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by that person.
Any owner or keeper who requires the use of a disability assistance animal shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter while such animal is being used for that purpose.
The provisions of this chapter shall be enforced by the Police Department of the Borough of Netcong.
Any person, firm or corporation who or which is found to be in violation of any of the provisions of this Chapter shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine not to exceed $2,000 or by imprisonment in the County jail for a period not to exceed 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and each violation of any of the provisions of this chapter and each day the same is violated shall be deemed and taken to be a separate and distinct offense.