[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Moosic 4-11-1989 by Ord. No. 8-1989. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Includes garbage, refuse, ashes, rubbish, and all other waste material which, if deposited or thrown as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety and welfare.
- A park, square, playground, pool or recreation center or any other public area in the Borough of Moosic owned or used by the Borough and devoted to recreation.
- PRIVATE PREMISES
- Any dwelling, house, building or other structure or parking lot designed or used wholly or in part for residential, industrial or commercial purposes, whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, including any yards, grounds, walks, driveways, porches, steps, vestibules or mail boxes belonging or appurtenant to such premises.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- All streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys or other public ways and public parks, squares, spaces, grounds and buildings.
- PUBLIC RECEPTACLES
- A receptacle placed by the Borough of Moosic at various locations for the reception of litter, other than household or commercial refuse.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway.
The owner or person in control of any private premises shall at all times maintain the premises free from litter. No person shall throw or deposit litter on any private premises or on any open or vacant lot or premises whether or not owned or controlled by such person, except that such owner or person in control may maintain authorized private receptacles for deposit, collection or temporary storage of litter.
No person shall place, throw, drop or deposit litter in or upon any street, sidewalk, park, stream or any body of water or other place within the Borough of Moosic except in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles.
No person shall place or deposit litter in public receptacles or authorize private receptacles except in such manner as to prevent it from being scattered or carried by the elements to any street, sidewalk or other public place or upon private premises.
The dumping, throwing or placing of ashes, scrap, litter, garbage, rubbish or refuse of any kind within the Borough of Moosic by any person is hereby declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited.
The dumping, throwing, or placing of ashes, scrap, litter, garbage, rubbish or refuse of any kind within the rivers, streams, creeks or waterways located within the Borough of Moosic is hereby declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited.
The dumping of household or commercial refuse within the Borough of Moosic into a public receptacle or into another private receptacle without the owner's permission by any person is hereby declared to be a nuisance and is hereby prohibited.
Any person who violates any of the provisions of the above sections and cite them shall be subject to a fine or penalty not to exceed $1,000, plus costs of prosecution, and, in default of payment of such fine and costs, to imprisonment not to exceed 30 days for each offense. In addition to said fine, said violator shall clean up the entire dumping area within a one-hundred-square-yard radius. Failure to clean up said area by violator will result in the Borough cleaning up said area and the total expenditures will be charged to said violator.