[Adopted 3-16-1982 by Ord. No. 555-82 as Ch. I of the 1982 Revised General Ordinances (§§ 1-16 and 1-17 of the 1993 Code); amended 9-21-1993 by Ord. No. 923-93]
[Amended 9-4-2012 by Ord. No. 1511-12]
For the purpose of this Code and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require or except as such terms are defined elsewhere in the Code, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CLERK; MUNICIPAL CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- An organizational unit of the Township government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the Township government assigned to such organizational unit by the Township Committee.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- MUNICIPAL ADMINISTRATOR
- The chief administrative officer duly appointed pursuant to law.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or herself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class or road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- Hazlet Township in the County of Monmouth and State of New Jersey.
- TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE
- The governing body of the Township.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following shall apply:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses, and the future tense includes the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural, and the plural includes the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory, and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day. If the last day is a Sunday, a legal holiday or a day on which the offices of the Township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" includes printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
"Chapter" shall mean one of the major divisions of the Code, identified by a numeral and divided by subject matter.
"Section" shall mean a major subdivision of a chapter.
"Subsection" shall mean a subdivision of a section.