[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Health of the Township of Hazlet 7-24-1972 as Ch. BH-V of the 1982 Revised General Ordinances (Ch. 377 of the 1993 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
Water usage — See Ch. 462.
A code regulating water supply systems is hereby adopted pursuant to N.J.S.A. 26:3-69.1 et seq. A copy of the code is annexed hereto and made a part hereof without the inclusion of the text thereof herein.
The code established and adopted by this chapter is described and commonly known as the "Individual and Semipublic Water Supply Code of New Jersey (1966)."
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- A physical condition between the water supply pipes or conduits of water of any public water supply system or extensions thereof and the pipes or conduits of water of any private water supply system or extensions thereof which permits the intermixing of water from a public water supply system and water from a private water supply system at any point in the distribution thereof, regardless of whether such point of interconnection or intermixing occurs on public or on private property.
- PRIVATE WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM
- Any system supplying potable water to fewer than 25% of the dwellings or commercial users of water in the Township.
- PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM
- Any system supplying potable water to 25% or more of the dwellings or commercial users of water in the Township.
No public water supply system shall be interconnected with a private supply system at any point in the Township.
The use of check valves or other means of preventing water from a private water supply system from entering the distribution network of a public water supply system shall not mean that the two systems are not interconnected.
All existing interconnections between public water supply systems and private water supply systems shall be dismantled and capped within 60 days of the effective date of this chapter.
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prohibit the interconnection of any two or more public water supply systems or to prohibit a public water supply system from interconnecting with other water supply systems, public or private, outside of the boundaries of the Township.
Violators of this chapter shall be punished by a fine of $25 for each violation. Each day of interconnection shall be considered a separate offense.