Unless otherwise expressly stated, whenever used in this chapter, the following words shall have the meaning given to them by this section:
- The operation of a taxicab upon the streets of the Town when not employed by a passenger, and by words or actions soliciting employment.
- Include any person owning or having control of the use of one or more taxicabs.
- PRIVATE LIVERY CAB
- A taxicab being operated at special instance and request of persons and at rates per unit of time, by the hour, day or week or fraction thereof.
- Includes any street, highway, alley, avenue, court, bridge, lane or public place in the Town outside the corporate limits of any Village in the Town.
- Include any motor vehicle regularly engaged in the business of carrying persons for hire, except vehicles subject to the provisions of the transportation law, or used by undertakers in carrying on their undertaking business.
- TAXICAB DRIVER
- Any person who drives a taxicab.
- TAXICAB DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Include written permission granted by the Town to drive a licensed taxicab upon the streets of the Town.
- TAXICAB LICENSE
- Include written permission granted by the Town to operate a specified taxicab upon the streets of the Town.
- TAXICAB STAND
- Include any place alongside the curb of any street or elsewhere which is exclusively reserved for the use of taxicabs.
[Amended 5-12-2009 by L.L. No. 3-2009]
The operation or running of taxis, livery, or other vehicles for the transportation of persons for hire over and upon the streets of the Town of Fallsburg, New York, or the use of such vehicles for soliciting fares on or upon the public streets or public places in the Town of Fallsburg is hereby prohibited unless carried on pursuant to a Town taxicab license as hereinafter provided.
Any taxicab or other vehicle referred to hereinabove shall be presumed to be operating in the Town of Fallsburg and covered by the provisions of this chapter if any one of the following is found:
Has on its body a telephone number starting with 434, 436 or 431.
Has on its body an address in the Town of Fallsburg.
The vehicle both picks up and drops off a passenger in the Town of Fallsburg. (Vehicles that merely deliver a passenger to a location in the Town of Fallsburg from outside the Town of Fallsburg shall not be presumed to be operating in the Town of Fallsburg. Also, vehicles which pick up a passenger in the Town of Fallsburg on being called to do so, and deliver that passenger to a location outside the Town of Fallsburg, shall not be presumed to be operating in the Town of Fallsburg.)
The owner, registrant, lessee, or driver of the vehicle advertises in any directory, telephone book, flyer or in any other media or writing that he, she or it operates or picks up fares or customers in the Town of Fallsburg.
Taxicab and taxicab driver's licenses shall be issued as of the first day of May each year and shall expire on the following April 30, unless sooner suspended or revoked.
[Amended 5-12-2009 by L.L. No. 3-2009; 3-22-2011 by L.L. No. 5-2011]
Each and every year on or before May 1, the Town Board may revise the number of taxicab licenses to be issued by either increasing or decreasing the number. The revision of the number of taxicab licenses to be issued shall be the sole discretion of the Town Board. If such determination by the Town Board shows the need for either increasing or reducing the number of taxicab licenses, then no holder of a taxicab license shall be refused a taxicab license so long as he can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Town Board that he is qualified to continue to fulfill the duties and obligations imposed by this chapter. No one individual or entity shall be allowed to purchase more than five licenses in a given year. The Town Board may revise the number of licenses after May 1 if it is determined it is in the best interest of the Town to do so.