[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Montville by Ord. No. 1308 as Ch. 9.36 of the 1998 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- BOW AND ARROW/CROSSBOW AND BOLT (hereafter referred to as "bow")
- A manually operated or mechanically released device which utilizes stored spring energy to propel an arrow or bolt.
- Any mechanical device which emits a projectile through a smooth bore tube or rifled barrel by the power generated as a result of a controlled explosion or pneumatic pressure.
- A pistol, revolver or other firearm originally intended to be operated by use of a single hand.
- A shoulder-braced firearm, usually requiring two-handed operation, that fires a single missile through a rifled barrel, most commonly designated in caliber or millimeter sizes.
- A shoulder-braced firearm, usually requiring two-handed operation, that fires a group of projectiles commonly referred to as "shot" or a single projectile commonly referred to as a "slug" through a smooth bore tube. The size designation of such a device is referred to as "gauge."
[Amended by Ord. No. 2003-48]
No person shall purposely discharge, fire or carry any loaded handgun, rifle, shotgun, other firearm or bow as defined herein within the Township of Montville.
[Amended by Ord. No. 2003-48]
This chapter shall not apply as follows:
To any person authorized to carry or discharge such firearm or bow either by reason of his membership in any Police Department or other law enforcement agency or if such a person is a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry and discharge firearms in the carrying out of his duties.
To any individual covered under a permit to carry pistol or revolver as expressed in N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4 for the specific purpose of which the permit was intended.
To any individual participating in the sport of hunting while within approved areas during designated hunting seasons as set by the State of New Jersey for that purpose. Hunting shall be prohibited on municipal property except for those municipal properties shown on a map entitled "Map of Open Space Use" dated August 16, 2016, attached hereto and which shall be kept on file in the office of the Township Clerk and which shall be on display at the Montville Township Public Safety Building. All hunters must comply with Title 23 of the New Jersey Statutes Annotated, as amended, and any rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, as well as abide by all "posted" signs. On an annual basis and prior to hunting for the first time in the Township, all hunters must register with the Montville Police Department by providing their name, address, phone number, copy of driver's license, vehicle license plate number for vehicles to be parked on Township property, and an emergency contact name and phone number. Registration is to be completed at the dispatch window of the Township Police Department, located at 360 Route 202, Montville, New Jersey 07045.
[Amended 9-13-2016 by Ord. No. 2016-18]
In participation at any legally established rifle, handgun or archery range for the purpose for which the range was intended and approved.
To farmers engaging in the act of protection of their property or crops under N.J.S.A. 54:4-23.1 whether property owner or tenant.
To any individual engaging in the act of protecting his person, life and property.
This chapter shall be enforced by the Police Department.