This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Land Subdivision Regulations of the City of Monessen."
The provisions of this chapter shall control wherever they impose greater restrictions than those imposed by other laws, ordinances, rules, regulations, permits, easements, agreements or covenants.
For the purpose of use in this chapter the following terms and words are herein defined. Words used in the present tense include the future tense; singular number includes the plural and vice versa.
- That area of ground, usually containing lots, and bounded on at least three sides (or the equivalent) by one or more streets or other definite barrier.
- The Planning Commission of the City of Monessen.
- COMPREHENSIVE MASTER PLAN
- That schedule, documents, reports and plans of the Planning Commission of the City of Monessen prepared and designed for the purpose of providing, improving and insuring suitable residential sites, open spaces for traffic, recreation, sewerage, watercourses, utilities, light and air and proper distribution of population, streets, schools, recreation areas, commercial areas, industrial areas and municipal services areas as evidenced by their minutes, actions, adoptions, resolutions, maps, plans, reports and other official acts and documents of said Commission.
- That person, persons or any one of them or any corporation, partnership, association or other entity or any responsible person therein or agent therefor that undertakes the activities covered by these regulations. The term "developer" is intended to include the term "subdivider," "owner" and "builder," even though the individuals involved in successive stages of the project may vary.
- A strip of land granted for a specific use to the public, a corporation, utility or persons.
- Any parcel of land for the purpose of conveyance, transfer, sale or development.
- PLAN OF LOTS, PRELIMINARY
- A tentative subdivision plan prepared as required by these regulations by a person qualified by training and experience as a land planner.
- PLAN OF LOTS, FINAL
- A complete and exact subdivision plan, prepared for recording as required by these regulations and such other applicable statutes.
- A way designed for vehicular traffic, however designated. The following classifications are herein used:
CROSS-CONNECTOR STREETS -- Major streets for circulation outside of residential neighborhoods.
LOCAL MAJOR STREETS -- Streets for major circulation within but not through residential neighborhoods and other planning districts and for provision of access to the cross-connector streets. There are two classifications: Class A and Class B.
MINOR STREETS -- Those streets which are used primarily for access to the abutting properties.
MARGINAL ACCESS STREETS -- Minor streets which are approximately parallel and adjacent to cross-connector and major streets which are defined in the Comprehensive Master Plan and which provide access to abutting properties and protection from through traffic.
- The division of a parcel of land into three or more lots or parcels for the purpose of transfer of ownership or building development or, if a new street is involved, any division of a parcel of land. The term includes "resubdivision" and, when appropriate to the context, shall relate to the process of subdividing or to the lands subdivided.
Hereafter, it shall be unlawful to sell, agree to sell, transfer or otherwise convey by deed, agreement, lease or like instrument or possession any ground or lot or parcel of ground situated within the city limits, or for a distance of three miles outside thereof, and which lots or parcels are parts of a land subdivision within the definition of this chapter, nor shall a lot or parcel of ground be subdivided in any other form or be excavated or structures erected thereon affixed to the land in pursuance to a subdivision plan unless and until that subdivision has been approved by the Planning Commission of the City of Monessen in accordance with the requirements of this chapter.