[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the Township of Robinson 11-13-1989 by Ord. No. 21-1989 (Ch. 6, Part 7, of the 1989 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is hereby declared and found that litter carelessly deposited in the Township is a cause of civic disgrace; that litter is a health, fire and safety hazard and pollutant; that an all-out litter-control campaign can result in substantial savings to taxpayers of the Township; that litter is a matter affecting the public interest and consequently should be subject to supervision and administrative control for the purpose of safeguarding the public health, safety and general welfare of the people of the Township.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meaning indicated:
- COMMERCIAL PLACE
- Any store or building or group thereof, including shopping centers, shopping plazas and other similar places, wherein mercantile activities and services are offered to the public, and includes all parking areas thereat.
- Putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish, as defined herein, and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety and welfare or creates unsightliness.
- A park, reservation, playground, beach, recreation center or any other public area in the Township owned or used by the Township and devoted to active or passive recreation.
- PRIVATE PREMISES
- Any dwelling, house, building or other structure designed or used, either wholly or in part, for private residential purposes, whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, and includes any yard, grounds, walk, driveway, porch, steps, vestibule or mailbox belonging or appurtenant to such dwelling, house, building or other structure.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys or other public ways, and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, grounds and buildings owned and/or operated by any public agency.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes (except body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, including devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
No person shall deposit or throw litter in or upon any street, sidewalk or other public place within the Township except in public receptacles, in private receptacles for collection or in approved landfill disposal areas.
Persons placing litter in public receptacles or in private receptacles shall do so in such a manner as to prevent it from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or upon private property.
No person shall sweep or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the Township the accumulation of litter from any building or litter from any public sidewalk or driveway.
Persons owning or occupying property shall keep the sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
The owner or person in control of any public property shall at all times maintain the premises free from litter; provided, however, that this subsection shall not prohibit the storage of litter in private receptacles for collection.
No person while a driver or passenger in a vehicle shall throw or deposit litter upon any street or public place within the Township or upon private property.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the Township unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any load, contents or litter from being blown or deposited upon any street, alley or other public place; nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or truck within the Township, the wheels or tires of which carry onto or deposit in any street, alley or other public place any mud, dirt, sticky substance, litter or foreign matter of any kind.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in any park or playground within the Township except in public receptacles and in such a manner that the litter will be prevented from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any part of the park or playground or upon any street or other public place. Where public receptacles are not provided, all such litter shall be carried away from the park or playground by the person responsible for its presence and properly disposed of elsewhere as provided herein.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in any fountain, pond, lake, stream, bay or any other body of water in a park or elsewhere within the Township.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any occupied private property or commercial place within the Township, whether owned by such person or not, except that the owner or person in control of such private property or commercial place may maintain private receptacles for collection in such manner that litter will be prevented from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street or other public place or upon any private property.
Each owner or person in control of any commercial place, including shopping centers and delivery and parking area thereat, shall keep said place, parking fields, parking areas, delivery areas and other open areas which are a part of such commercial place free from litter.
The owner or person in control of any private property shall at all times maintain the premises free from litter; provided, however, that this section shall not prohibit the storage of litter in private receptacles for collection.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any open or vacant private property within the Township, whether owned by such person or not.
The Township Manager and/or his designated agent is hereby authorized and empowered to notify the owner of any open or vacant private property or commercial place within the Township, or the agent of such owner, to properly dispose of litter located on such owner's property which is a nuisance or dangerous to public health, safety or welfare. Such notice shall be by certified mail, addressed to said owner at his last known address.
Any person who shall violate any provision of this chapter, shall, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $300 and, in default of payment, to imprisonment of not to exceed 30 days.