[Adopted 8-6-1957 by Ord. No. 247]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Hellertown Borough Authority, as presently or hereafter constituted, which has been created by said Council and to which has been referred by said Council the specific project of sewers.
- The Borough of Hellertown, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, or the duly constituted and elected Council thereof.
- INDUSTRIAL WASTE
- Any solid, liquid or gaseous substance or form of energy rejected or escaping from any industrial, manufacturing, trade or business process or from the development, recovery or processing of natural resources, as distinct from sanitary sewage.
- That part of the sewer system extending from a public main or street sewer to curbline or property line if there is no curb and where the main or street sewer line is laid under a sidewalk; the word "lateral" shall include the Y connection from the main or street sewer line.
- OCCUPIED BUILDING
- Any structure erected and intended for continuous or periodic habitation, occupancy or use by human beings or animals and from which structure sewage and industrial waste, or either thereof, is or may be discharged.
- Shall include individuals or natural persons, artificial persons existing only in contemplation of law, and shall be construed to include associations, partnerships, limited partnerships, joint-stock companies and corporations.
- PROPERTY ACCESSIBLE TO THE SEWER SYSTEM
- Real estate which adjoins, abuts on, or is adjacent to, the sewer system.
- The normal water-carried household and toilet wastes from the residences, business buildings, institutions and industrial establishments.
Whenever the sewer system or any reasonable portion thereof is completed and ready for public use, it shall be the duty of the Authority, from time to time, to cause notice of the fact to be given by advertisement published once in one newspaper of general circulation in the Borough, and such advertisement shall state that said sewer may be used by all persons owning occupied buildings on property accessible to the sewer system, subject to the payment of any connection charges and of annual sewer rentals in amounts as may from time to time be fixed by the Authority.
All persons owning any occupied building now erected upon property accessible to the sewer system shall at their own expense connect such building with the sewer system within 60 days after the date of publication specified in § 338-2.
All persons owning any property accessible to the sewer system upon which an occupied building is hereafter erected shall, at the time of the erection of such building and at their own expense, connect the same with the sewer system.
All persons owning any occupied building upon property which hereafter becomes accessible to the sewer system shall, at their own expense, connect such building with the sewer system within 60 days after notice to do so from the Borough.
[Amended 12-30-1964 by Ord. No. 317]
It shall be unlawful for any person owning any property accessible to the sewer system to erect, construct, or use or maintain or cause to be erected, constructed, used or maintained any privy, cesspool, sinkhole, septic tank or other receptacle on such premises for receiving sewage after the expiration of the particular period specified in § 338-3 hereof or otherwise at any time to erect, construct, use or maintain any pipe, conduit, drain or other facility for the discharge of sewage except into the sewer system.
Any person who erects, constructs, uses or maintains a privy, cesspool, sinkhole or septic tank on any property accessible to the sewer system, in violation of this article, shall be deemed and shall be declared to be erecting, constructing and maintaining a nuisance, which nuisance the Borough is hereby authorized and directed to abate in the manner provided by law.
No connection shall be made to, nor shall any industrial waste be discharged into the sewer system, except in compliance with the ordinances and resolutions as well as such rules and regulations as may, from time to time, be enacted, adopted, approved or promulgated by the Authority.
After the expiration of the particular periods specified in § 338-3 of this article, if any owner of an occupied building on property accessible to the sewer system shall have failed to connect such property with the sewer system as required by said § 338-3, the Borough shall cause to be served on the owner of such property so failing to connect to said sewer system and also upon the occupants of the building in question a copy of this article and a written or printed notice requiring such connection to be made, and such notice shall further state that its requirements shall be complied with within 60 days from the date thereof.
[Amended 12-30-1964 by Ord. No. 317]
Any person, firm or corporation who shall violate any provision of this article shall, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $1,000 plus costs and, in default of payment of said fine and costs, to a term of imprisonment not to exceed 30 days. Each day that a violation of this article continues or each section of this article which shall be found to have been violated shall constitute a separate offense.
The Borough hereby grants to the Authority all and every easement, right-of-way and any and all other rights necessary or desirable on, over or under the streets, sidewalks and alleys in the Borough for the purpose of constructing the sewer system therein.