[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the City of Hoboken 8-11-2004 by Ord. No. DR-149. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Messages sent from one person or entity to another via computer.
- A matrix of networks that connects computers throughout the world.
- PUBLIC INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS
- Records made and maintained and received or kept on file in the course of official business including but not limited to agendas, minutes (including executive session minutes when they become public), resolutions, proposed ordinances and resolutions, all City codes, the Master Plan, consultant reports, municipal budgets (not including worksheets), contracts, licenses, tax records, landlord registration forms, financial disclosure forms, bidders lists (when complete), lists of members of municipal boards and commissions including their terms of office, and such other information and/or records generated by the Mayor and the City Council and all municipal departments, boards, commissions, agencies, utilities, authorities and such other entities and instrumentalities of municipal government and that are not confidential in nature and whose release is not forbidden by law. Any unlisted telephone numbers, social security numbers, driver license numbers, credit card numbers and other private information determined by law not to be public that is contained in the foregoing shall be deleted or obliterated. "Public information and documents" shall include all records not specifically exempted by New Jersey's Open Public Records Act ("OPRA") (N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1 et seq.), as amended and supplemented.
- A set of interconnected documents and the World Wide Web, including a homepage, prepared and maintained as a collection of information.
- WORLD WIDE WEB
- The complete set of documents residing on all Internet servers that use the HTTP protocol, accessible to users via a simple point-and-click system.
The City of Hoboken has established a Website ("Hoboken Web Site") and has registered it with the domain name of www.hobokennj.org. The City of Hoboken shall create and post on the Web site an e-mail address for the City Clerk's Office, in order to respond to requests for public information and documents. The City of Hoboken shall post on the Hoboken Web Site, along with a standard phone contact list, the e-mail; addresses for City assigned e-mail addresses for employees. Certain employees have been assigned e-mail addresses in order to promote efficient communication with the public and other agencies and companies whereas their job functions require such communication.
All notices and agendas required by law to be posted publicly and/or published shall be also posted on the Hoboken Web Site. These postings shall be done in a timely manner in respect to the posting/publishing to its printed counterpart. All postings shall remain on the Hoboken Web Site, enabling citizens to review archived information. The City of Hoboken retains the right to remove archived information, if such archived information is impeding on the storage capability to publish new information.
The City Clerk's Office shall accept all requests for public information and documents submitted via e-mail, in addition to such requests submitted on paper or via facsimile transmission. Such requests may also be filed on forms which shall be available in downloadable form on the Hoboken Web Site.
The City's response to requests for public information and documents shall include the use of e-mail, if so requested. The requesting entity shall provide the necessary e-mail address so that the request can be fulfilled.
E-mail directed to the City of Hoboken or its employees may be retained as part of the public record, and these communications may be available through public information requests. Because of the public information nature of the Hoboken Web Site, users should have no assumption of privacy, as any information that may be provided by an individual or his/her system can become public information.
All information collected on the City of Hoboken website will be treated the same as any written communication and is subject to the confidentiality and public disclosure laws of the State of New Jersey.
Visitors to the City of Hoboken Website should be advised that the City may collect information about visitors who view or download information from the City website, such as the date and time the site is visited, the type of web browser or other client software that made the request to the City web server or its off-site server provider, the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the visitor, the amount of data sent by the City server to the visitor, or error code information.
The information collected is to be used to improve the content of the provided City web services and to help understand how people are using the services. Website logs are analyzed to continually improve the value of the materials available on the website. Such website log information is not personally identifiable, and the City will make no attempt to link it with the individuals that browse the City website.
"Personally identifiable information" is information about a person that is readily identifiable to that specific individual. It includes, for example, an individual's name, street address, e-mail address, or phone number.
Personally identifiable information will not be collected unless an individual voluntarily sends an e-mail message, fills out and send an online form, or fills out personal information and sends in a survey. The choice not to participate in these activities will not impair an individual's ability to access certain information or obtain a service online.
Unless specifically protected under state law, any information provided may be inspected by the public or disclosed in a legal proceeding.
E-mail messages sent to the City of Hoboken Website will be treated the same as any other written communication. They may be subject to public inspection or legal disclosure and may be saved for a period of time before they are destroyed. E-mail or other information requests sent to the municipal website may be maintained in order to respond to the request, forward that request to the appropriate agency, or to provide the web designer with valuable customer feedback to assist in improving the site. E-mail addresses obtained as a result of a request to the municipal site will not be sold or given to private companies for marketing purposes.
Any other information provided by a visitor at the request of the City of Hoboken, such as the completion and electronic filing of a form, will be considered to be voluntarily provided by the visitor and will be treated in the same manner as information provided in written form or in person during a visit to the agency. Information provided may be subject to public inspection and legal disclosure and may be saved for a period of time before it is destroyed.
The City of Hoboken collects, retains and utilizes the e-mail address of website visitors only when they volunteer to subscribe to document folders on the municipality's website. The information is used to administer subscriber accounts and to provide documents requested by e-mail subscribers. Records containing personal information about e-mail subscribers are confidential and may only be released with the express written permission of the subscriber.
Cookies are small text files that a web server may ask your web browser to store, and to send back to the web server when needed. Cookies may be used to store a transaction identifier to other information a user may provide.
The City of Hoboken does not utilize cookies in order to track visits to its website.
Neither the City of Hoboken, nor any agency, officer, or employee of the City of Hoboken warrants the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information published on the City of Hoboken Website, nor endorses any products or services linked from this system, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of such information. Portions of the information may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from this system does so at his or her own risk.
Various websites may be linked through the City of Hoboken Website. Visitors to those sites are advised to check the privacy statements of those sites and be cautious about providing personally identifiable information without a clear understanding of how the information will be used.