Questions about eCode360? Municipal users Join us daily between 12pm and 1pm EDT to get answers and other tips!
City of Melrose, MA
Middlesex County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[Amended 5-21-2012 by Ord. No. 2012-158]
Except in the case of construction of improvements under the law authorizing the assessment of betterments and except in cases of extreme emergency under Chapter 228, Water and Sewers, § 228-17B, the Public Works Department may perform any service or furnish any materials authorized under this article, including the construction and repair of private drains and particular sewers, water service pipes and sidewalks and edgestones, and may perform such other services or furnish such other materials as the City Engineer may deem expedient, all or any part of the cost of which is to be paid by the owner of any premises, provided that such owner or his/her accredited agent shall make written application therefor in duplicate to the City Engineer upon forms furnished by him/her.
[Amended 5-21-2012 by Ord. No. 2012-158]
Upon receipt of an application for service to be rendered by the Public Works Department, the City Engineer shall, without delay, make an estimate of the cost of the work to be done or the materials to be furnished and shall transmit such estimate to the applicant, and the City Engineer shall endorse upon the duplicate copy of such application the amount of such estimate and shall transmit such copy to the City Auditor. The applicant shall, within 90 days after receipt of such estimate, deposit with the City Treasurer the amount so estimated or the portion thereof which such applicant may be required to pay, and each such deposit shall be held as a separate fund.
[Amended 5-21-2012 by Ord. No. 2012-158]
Whenever the City Treasurer shall receive any deposit under § 202-11, he/she shall notify the City Engineer and the City Auditor forthwith, and no such work shall be commenced nor any such material furnished until such notice has been given.
All work performed and all materials furnished as authorized by this article shall be charged at the actual cost to the City. A statement thereof shall be furnished to the applicant, the City Collector and the City Auditor, and the difference between such actual cost and the amount of the estimate made at the time of the application and deposited, as aforesaid, shall be paid by the party debtor.
[Added 3-16-1992 by Ord. No. 92-120; amended 3-16-1992 by Ord. No. 92-175]
The Engineering Division shall charge the following for services provided to the public:
Photocopies: $0.50 each.
Microfilm copies: $1.50.
Blue-lines prints: $2 each.
Computer-generated plans: $10 each.
Research time:
Up to one hour: no charge.
Over one hour: $20 per hour.
Block party permit: no charge.
Street opening permit: $25 each occasion.
Sidewalk opening permit: $25 each occasion.
Street occupancy permit: $15 each occasion.
Sidewalk occupancy permit: $15 each occasion.