[Adopted 12-7-2005 as Title 8, Ch. 4, of the 2005 Village Code]
The following definitions shall be applicable in this article:
- All items which are not recyclable, not burnable, or of the compost nature, and all kinds of organic waste resulting from the preparation or consumption of food.
- GARBAGE BAG
- Colored plastic bags specifically designated for the purpose of garbage collection, approved by the Village Board and sold by the Village of Argyle and/or approved local retailers for the purpose of garbage collection, and which is tightly sealed by wire, cord or a plastic sealing lock.
- Any item, such as aluminum cans, newspapers, cardboard, glass containers of any color, recyclable plastic containers, used motor oil, designated to be separated from garbage/trash for the purpose of salvage and reuse or for the sale or other transfer to others for such salvage and reuse.
- STANDARD GARBAGE/TRASH CONTAINER
- A galvanized metal or heavy plastic canister with a tightly-fitting cover which is animal/rodent proof.
- Includes waste products such as wire or metal of any kind, nonrecyclable plastics, china, crockery, ashes or other nongarbage waste material which results from the normal operation of a household, but not including bodily waste. Large cartons or crates shall constitute "trash" if such cartons or crates are broken down to a size suitable for handling by the garbage collector and are compacted into a specified bag or dumpster. Brush and branch clippings or cuttings and tree limbs shall not constitute "trash" for the purpose of collection.
Three garbage districts, all of which are subject to the provisions of this article, are hereby established as follows:
Residential. Village garbage collection shall be compulsory for all residents of the Village living in a dwelling composed of not more than eight dwelling units under one roof or housing development.
Commercial. This shall include all business establishments and occupants of dwelling units of more than eight units under one roof or one housing development.
Industrial. This shall be the ordinary understanding of businesses classified as industrial.
Every household or occupant of any dwelling or place of business within the Village of Argyle shall provide one or more standard garbage/trash containers of sufficient capacity to contain all garbage/trash that may accumulate between collections and which shall be secure from animals and/or rodents.
Those qualifying under commercial and industrial may have and maintain dumpsters and may arrange for hauling, providing the hauler does not exceed one ton per load.
Every household or occupant of any dwelling or place of business within the Village must purchase garbage bags from the Village Clerk-Treasurer or local retail outlets at a price established by the Village Board for such bags from time to time unless the user qualifies for the use of a dumpster as set forth in this article.
No person or business shall engage in the collection or removal of garbage or refuse within the Village limits of the Village of Argyle unless he or it is employed by the Village of Argyle or unless he or it has received permission to do so from the Village Board.
All garbage/trash shall be transmitted by every household or occupant of any dwelling or place of business classified as residential to a site specified by the Village Board in the Village of Argyle and placed in a dumpster or container provided by the Village of Argyle. The Village of Argyle shall retain the right to review and list acceptable items for recycling.
The Village of Argyle will provide transportation or removal of said garbage/trash from the Village site.
The cost of garbage bags which must be purchased from the Village of Argyle shall be at a scale of rates fixed from time to time by the Village Board. In the event for any reason the Village cannot require the purchase of garbage bags or shall be unable to purchase the same for any reason, then, in lieu thereof, the Village Board may require the purchase of a sticker to be applied on each garbage bag which is the equivalent and the same as the cost of said bags, and it shall be unlawful to place in Village dumpsters any garbage bag not purchased from the Village or approved retail outlets or having an appropriate sticker placed on said bag.
All charges established by the Village Board for the purchase of garbage bags and/or for the garbage and refuse collection which shall become delinquent shall be a direct lien upon the property served in accordance with the statutes of the State of Wisconsin and may be levied as a charge against the real estate.
Materials which are not garbage/trash which will not be collected by the Village collector shall include logs or branches, earth, sod, rock, concrete, by-products of building demolition or remodeling such as plaster, lath, boards, scrap lumber, shingles, roofing materials and similar materials.
Undrained garbage/trash bags weighing more than 40 pounds will not be accepted for collection.
Garbage/trash bags which have been over-capacitated, ripped or torn open will not be accepted for collection.
Electronic product waste will be accepted.
Larger items, such as furniture, can be disposed of. The operator of the Recycling Center will charge by volume of dumpster used. The operator has the right to refuse any item.
The Village Board may establish a collection site for the collection of recyclables. Receptacles shall be placed at the site. Recyclables shall be placed only in the receptacle designed for each class of recyclables. All recyclables shall be properly prepared for acceptance, as defined by the Village Board and noted at the collection site. No person shall dump or dispose of any garbage or refuse other than recyclables, as defined in this article, in the receptacles or at the collection site in a disorderly fashion or outside the provided receptacles.
It shall be the duty of the Chief of Police, all police officers and the Health Officer to strictly enforce the provisions of this article and see that all violations thereof are promptly abated and the violators thereof prosecuted, and to sign complaints as the complaining witness and to appear and testify as to any violations of this article.
Village officials of the Village of Argyle may at all reasonable times, upon duly executed written complaint of any persons showing reasonable cause or in the conformance with the duties of his office, enter into and inspect any place or vehicle to ascertain health conditions and to carry out the provisions of this article.