[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Buchanan 10-4-1971 by L.L. No. 1-1971 (Ch. 45 of the 1971 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
The definitions given herein deal only with certain terms used in this chapter, in the sense that they are used herein. As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The fitting or opening through which water enters the pool.
- The outlet(s) at the deep portion of the pool through which the main flow of the water leaves the pool or which drains the pool.
- PUBLIC SWIMMING POOL
- Any pool used for any public or community purpose by two or more families and their guests or any pool having a water surface area in excess of 1,000 square feet.
- RESIDENTIAL SWIMMING POOL
- Any constructed pool which is used or intended to be used as a swimming pool in connection with a single-family residence and available only to the family of the householder and his private guests.
- SANITARY SEWER
- A sewer intended to receive sanitary sewage without the admixture of stormwater or surface water.
- STORMWATER SEWER
- A sewer intended to receive stormwater or surface water that runs off over the surface of the ground.
- SWIMMING POOL
- Any constructed pool, used for swimming or bathing, over 24 inches in depth or with a surface area exceeding 200 square feet.
After this chapter is passed and approved, the duly appointed and acting Building Inspector of the Village shall make all such inspections as are necessary to properly carry out the provisions of this chapter and shall report all violations thereof to the Board of Trustees.
[Amended 2-7-2011 by L.L. No. 9-2011]
No swimming pool shall hereafter be installed or constructed within the Village of Buchanan until a written permit has been obtained from the Building Inspector. A separate permit shall be required for each pool, and a fee in an amount as set from time to time by resolution of the Board of Trustees shall be charged for each permit. Such permits shall be issued in numerical order and shall be issued independently of any other permit issued by the Building Inspector.
Before commencing the installation of any residential swimming pool, a permit shall be obtained from the Building Inspector.
Applications for permits shall be accompanied by plans in sufficient detail, showing the following:
No outlet pipe or main drain line shall discharge on any sidewalk or street surface. Connection to any sewer, sanitary or surface, shall only be made upon approval of the Building Inspector.
No cross-connection shall be made with any public water supply or any water supply used for potable purposes. Inlets shall be above pool level (top of the pool), and a free break of at least six inches shall be between the inlet pipe (bottom) and the top of the pool. All public water shall be metered before the same enters the pool.
Swimming pools shall be classified as accessory structures and shall conform to setbacks as required for such structures in Chapter 211, Zoning, of the Code of the Village of Buchanan.
All residential swimming pools shall be enclosed by a four-foot-high fence. This fence shall be of chain-link, post and heavy hog-wire fencing or a closed tight fence securely nailed or spiked to posts.
Where the pool is above grade and has a fence or railing securing the deck, a secure gate shall be installed at the stairway or stairways leading to the deck.
All gates shall have hasps and padlocks.
Portable pool change depth to four feet and an area to 450 square feet.
Any person, persons, firm, association or corporation or agent thereof who or which shall neglect, fail or refuse to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of disorderly conduct and, on conviction, shall be fined in the sum of not less than $10 nor more than $100.