[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the Township of North Versailles 3-19-1984 by Ord. No. 816 (Ch. 10, Part 1, of the 1987 Code of Ordinances). Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be titled "the North Versailles Township Alarm System Ordinance."
The following definitions are applicable under this chapter:
- ALARM SYSTEM or ALARM SERVICE
- Any means used by any subscriber or provider, as those terms are used in this chapter, for the purpose of notifying or otherwise utilizing the services or efforts of the North Versailles Township officials, directly or indirectly, regarding a burglary, attempted burglary, breaking, breaking and entering, trespassing or any other act which may or may not be deemed to be a criminal act; or any other device which is, however, designed to cause some police or official action or investigation by North Versailles Township officials. It shall also include any burglar alarm or warning device whatsoever which results in the summoning of North Versailles Township Police or Fire Department.
- FALSE ALARM
- An alert by any alarm system which is or which is intended to be transferred or transmitted to the North Versailles Township Police or Fire Department or other Township official, which discloses following investigation that there was no burglary, attempted burglary, break-in, breaking and/or entering, or any other act which would ordinarily have caused the initiation of police investigation, police action or other official Township action.
- Any improvements on real estate which utilize an alarm system.
- Any person or entity in the business of providing alarm systems or alarm system protection to any premises within the Township of North Versailles.
- Any owner, user, occupier, or lessor of any type of premises which are equipped with an alarm system, whether installed maintained and serviced by a provider, any other entity or the subscriber.
Every provider of alarm system to premises within the Township of North Versailles must register with the Township Secretary within 90 days of the effective date of this chapter. If any provider intends to provide alarm systems or service hereinafter, said provider must register with the Township of North Versailles prior to entering into any contracts or in fact providing such service.
The application of every provider shall bear the following data: the name of the entity, the date of incorporation, the principal office, the name of its liability insurance carrier with policy number and coverage, names and addresses of all officers, name and address of the person in charge of services to be rendered in North Versailles Township, a telephone number or numbers where the North Versailles Township Police or officials may have access to a responsible person 24 hours per day, every day of the year.
The provider must supply a written explanation of how the provider's alarm system works.
The provider must provide a list enumerating the name and address of every entity and premises to which the provider provides alarm services in the Township of North Versailles. This list must be updated to include additions and deletions every three months; that is, on the first day of January, April, July and October of each year.
The Secretary shall keep a record of all such applications, shall supply a duplicate copy to the Chief of Police, and may request other reasonable data as the Secretary sees fit. It shall be the duty of the Chief of Police to record each and every false alarm as defined herein and to report the same to the Secretary by the first day of the following month.
For every false alarm which occurs arising out of the use of any alarm system, there is hereby imposed a service charge in the amount of $25. Subscribers and providers shall be jointly and severally liable therefor. The Township Secretary shall bill each and every person responsible for each false alarm, which sum shall be payable within 30 days of the date of invoice. The invoice shall be deemed to have been received if mailed by the Township Secretary postage prepaid to the addresses given by the provider.
If there shall be more than two false alarms for any one premises in any calendar month, the service charge for each false alarm in excess of two shall be $50.
The failure to pay the false alarm service charge shall be deemed to be a civil and a criminal wrong. The Township of North Versailles shall have the right to collect said service charge by simple action in assumpsit, and shall have the same right to lien, collect and enforce said charge in the same manner as heretofore provided by Act of Assembly for the enforcement, liening and claiming of municipal claims against subscribers and/or providers.
[Amended 11-16-1987 by Ord. No. 857; 8-15-1988 by Ord. No. 867]
Any person, firm or corporation who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $600 and/or to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 30 days.