This chapter shall be known as and may be cited as the "Manufactured Home Park Ordinance of Carroll County, Virginia." It is enacted under the authority granted by Act of the General Assembly of Virginia as provided in Title 15.2, § 15.2-2247, Code of Virginia 1950, and amendments thereto.
This chapter establishes regulations to assure the orderly development of manufactured home parks and the placement of individual manufactured homes in Carroll County, Virginia, to protect the general public and to provide for the administration and enforcement thereof.
In the construction of this chapter, the rules contained in this section shall be observed and applied, except when the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Words used in the present tense shall include the future, and words used in the singular number shall include the plural number, and the plural the singular;
The word "lot" includes the words "plot" and "parcel";
The word "shall" is mandatory and not discretionary;
The word "may" is permissive;
The word "approve" shall be considered to be followed by the words "or disapprove";
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter;
Any reference to this chapter includes all ordinances amending or supplementing the same;
All distances and areas refer to measurement in a horizontal plane.
For the purpose of this chapter, certain words and terms are defined as follows. Words used in the present tense include the future. Words in the singular include the plural, and the plural includes the singular.
- The Carroll County Planning Commission having been appointed to serve as the agent of the Board in administering all provisions of this chapter.
- A representative of the administrator and the Board of Supervisors designated to serve as the agent of the administrator and the Board in approving and disapproving manufactured home park plats and charged with enforcement of this chapter. The agent may approve manufactured home parks containing four or less lots and have other such duties as delegated by the administrator and/or the Board of Supervisors.
- A public or private right-of-way primarily designed to serve as secondary access to the side or rear of those properties whose principal frontage and access is on a street.
- BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- The Board of Supervisors of Carroll County, Virginia.
- Any structure built for the support, shelter or enclosure of persons, animals, chattel or movable property of any kind and which is permanently affixed to the land and any structure which, pursuant to the Virginia Uniform Building Code, requires a building permit in order to be placed or erected.
- The Planning Commission of Carroll County, Virginia
- Carroll County, Virginia.
- A street with only one outlet and having an appropriate turnaround for safe and convenient traffic movement. Such streets shall not be longer than 500 feet, exclusive of the turnaround. The turnaround shall have a minimum right-of-way diameter of 100 feet.
- The act of planning, constructing, and maintaining a manufactured home park.
- A. An owner of property where a proposed manufactured home park is to be located, whether or not represented by an agent.
- B. An individual, corporation or registered partnership owning any tract, lot or parcel of land to be developed or a group of two or more persons owning any tract, lot or parcel to be developed under this chapter who have given their power of attorney to one of their group or to another individual to act on their behalf in planning, negotiating for, representing or executing the legal requirements of the manufactured home park.
- A grant by the property owner of the use of land for a specific purpose or purposes.
- An engineer licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- EROSION AND SEDIMENT
- A control program or state program administered by the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Board pursuant to the Code of Virginia, § 10.1-560, including regulations designed to minimize erosion and sedimentation.
- FAMILY, IMMEDIATE MEMBER
- Any person who is a natural or legally defined offspring, spouse, sibling, grandchild, grandparent or parent of the owner.
- FINAL PLAT
- A map or plan of a manufactured home park which meets all requirements of this chapter, including any accompanying material.
- The length of the property line of any lot, lots or tracts of land measured at the front setback line along a street, road or highway against which land abuts.
- GOVERNING BODY
- The Board of Supervisors of Carroll County, Virginia.
- HEALTH OFFICER
- The Director of the Carroll County Health Department or his designated representative.
- HEALTH PERMIT
- A written permit issued by the Health Officer authorizing the operation of manufactured home lot or manufactured home park.
- HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
- The Virginia Department of Transportation.
- HIGHWAY ENGINEER
- The engineer employed by the Highway Department serving Carroll County.
- All public utilities and facilities, including but not limited to streets, storm and sanitary sewer systems, curbs and cutters, culverts, catch basins and other drainage structures, waterlines and fire hydrants, sidewalks and street signs.
- The area or territory subject to the legislative control of the Board of Supervisors.
- A receipt issued by the Carroll County Treasurer to the owner of each manufactured home in the County. This receipt is to be suitable for display on each manufactured home.
- MANUFACTURED HOME
- An industrialized building unit constructed on a chassis for towing to the point of use and designed to be used without a permanent foundation for continuous year-round occupancy as a dwelling; or two or more such units separately towable, but designed to be joined together at the point of use to form a single dwelling, and which are designed for removal to and installation or erection on other sites.
- MANUFACTURED HOME LOT
- A unit of land designed, constructed, and equipped for the placement of a single manufactured home and for the exclusive use of its occupants.
- MANUFACTURED HOME PARK
- An area or tract of land designed, constructed, and equipped to accommodate two or more manufactured homes.
- MANUFACTURED HOME STAND
- A manufactured home stand is that portion of the manufactured home lot designated for the placement of a manufactured home.
- MOTOR HOME
- A portable, temporary dwelling to be used for travel, recreation, and vacation and constructed as an integral part of a self-propelled vehicle.
- Network service access point.
- Any person, group of persons, firm, corporation or any other legal entity having legal title to the land sought to be developed under this chapter.
- PLANNING COMMISSION
- The Planning Commission of Carroll County, Virginia.
- Includes the terms "map," "plan," "plot," "replat" or "replot"; a map or plan of a tract or parcel of land which is to be or which has been developed as a manufactured home park. When used as a verb, "plat" is synonymous with "develop."
- Any place, tract, lot, parcel of land or several of the same collected together for the purpose of developing a manufactured home park.
- Carroll County Public Service Authority.
- A piece or strip of land set aside for use as a street, crosswalk, railroad, electric transmission line, oil or gas pipeline, water main, sanitary or storm sewer main or for another public use.
- That portion of a street used by vehicular traffic.
- That distance from a street right-of-way or boundary of adjacent property or adjacent manufactured home lot upon which a building or other structure may be built.
- SMALL MANUFACTURED HOME PARK
- A manufactured home park containing four or less manufactured home lots or spaces.
- A public right-of-way which offers a means of vehicular access to properties or provides for through traffic, whether designated as a highway, parkway, turnpike, street, avenue, road, boulevard, throughway, lane, place, alley or any other thoroughfare. A street shall be deemed the total length and width of the strip of land dedicated for public travel, including such improvements as may be required.
- TRAVEL TRAILER
- A transportable temporary dwelling with a maximum body length of 36 feet to be used for recreation and vacation.
Editor's Note: See now § 62.1-44.15:51 et seq., Code of Virginia.
The provisions of this chapter shall be interpreted to constitute the minimum requirements adopted for the promotion of the public health, safety, and welfare. Such provisions as are contained herein are intended to protect the public and to serve the following purposes:
To provide for convenience of access and safety from fire, flood, and other dangers;
To reduce or prevent congestion in the public streets;
To facilitate the creation of a convenient, attractive, and harmonious community;
To expedite the provision of adequate police and fire protection, transportation, water, sewerage, parks, playgrounds, recreational facilities, and other public requirements; and
To protect against overcrowding of land and undue density of population in relation to the community facilities existing or available.
It is not intended by this chapter to repeal, abrogate, annul, or in any way impair or interfere with existing provisions of other laws or ordinances, except those specifically repealed by this chapter, or with private restrictions placed upon property by covenants turning with the land to which the County is a party. Where this chapter imposes a greater restriction upon land than that imposed or required by such existing provisions of law, ordinance, contract, or deed, the provisions of this chapter shall control.
The Carroll County Planning Commission and the agent are hereby delegated the authority to administer this chapter and shall perform all duties regarding manufactured home parks in accordance with this chapter and applicable state authority.
In the performance of his duties, the Planning Commission and the agent may call for written opinions or decisions from County officials in considering details of any proposed manufactured home park.
In addition to the regulations herein contained for the development of manufactured home parks, the Planning Commission may, from time to time, establish any reasonable administrative procedures deemed necessary for the proper administration of this chapter or such other authority as the Board of Supervisors might delegate.
Plats to be considered at the next meeting of the Planning Commission shall be submitted in the agent's office at least 14 business days prior to the Planning Commission meeting.
The Planning Commission shall meet on such days and at such times as the Planning Commission shall, by resolution duly adopted, direct.