[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the City of Washington 2-9-1995 by Ord. No. 1494 (Ch. 10, Part 11, of the 1986 Code of Ordinances). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT
- The advanced pre-hospital and inter-hospital emergency medical care of serious illness or injury by appropriately trained health professionals and by certified EMT paramedics.
- Any vehicle which is specifically designed, constructed or modified and equipped and is used or intended to be used and is maintained or operated for the purpose of providing emergency medical care to and transportation of patients. The term includes advanced or basic life support vehicles that may or may not transport patients.
- AMBULANCE ATTENDANT
- An individual who holds a valid certificate evidencing the successful completion of a course in advanced first aid sponsored by the American Red Cross and a valid certificate evidencing the successful completion of a course in cardiopulmonary resuscitation sponsored by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross or an individual who can evidence the successful completion of an equivalent training program approved by the Department of Health of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- AMBULANCE SERVICE
- An entity which regularly engages in the business or service of providing emergency medical care and transportation of patients within this commonwealth. The term includes mobile advanced life support services that may or may not transport patients.
- BASIC LIFE SUPPORT SERVICES
- The pre-hospital or inter-hospital emergency medical care and management of illness or injury performed by specially trained and certified or licensed personnel.
- A combination of circumstances resulting in a need for immediate medical attention.
- EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
- The services utilized in responding to the needs of an individual for immediate medical care in order to prevent loss of life or aggravation of physiological or psychological illness or injury.
No person, as an owner, agent or otherwise, shall operate, conduct, maintain, advertise or otherwise engage in or profess to be engaged in providing a basic life support service or an advanced life support service upon the highways or in other public place within the City of Washington unless that person holds a currently valid license as a basic life support ambulance service or advanced life support ambulance service issued by the Department of Health of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania pursuant to the Pennsylvania Legislature Act of July 3, 1985, P.L. 164, No. 45 (35 P.S. § 6921 et seq.).
Editor's Note: 35 P.S. §§ 6921 to 6938 were repealed August 18, 2009, P.L. 308, No. 37; see now 35 Pa.C.S.A. Ch. 81, where the subject matter of these sections is now covered.
[Amended 12-7-2006 by Ord. No. 1766]
Any individual, person, firm, corporation or other entity who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall, upon being held liable in any civil proceeding or upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a penalty, fine or charge of no less than $100 nor more than the maximum amount permitted by law, but not to exceed $1,000, and in default of payment or any failure to pay any fine or penalty, upon a summary or other criminal conviction, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for a period not to exceed 30 days, or both.
Each day that a violation of this chapter shall continue shall constitute a separate offense, subject to the fines, costs, penalties and charges set forth above for each offense.
Nothing herein shall limit, prevent or preclude the City of Washington from taking any and all legal action or exercising any other remedy available to the City by law, including but not limited to the initiation of civil or criminal proceedings or injunctive relief, in order to enforce or ensure compliance with this chapter. As an additional remedy, the City of Washington may abate any nuisance, dangerous or hazardous condition by any means permitted by law, which shall include, but not be limited to, an action in the Court of Common Pleas of Washington County, Pennsylvania, for injunctive relief; the use of any City of Washington personnel, equipment and materials or that of an authorized agent or contractor hired by the City to remove or abate any nuisance, dangerous or hazardous condition and with all costs thereof or related thereto to be charged against the property owner(s) and/or person or entity who has violated the chapter or portion thereof; said costs shall include all actual costs and expenses, including all costs of collection and reasonable administrative costs of the City, incurred in enforcing the provisions of the chapter.