[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Charleroi 6-11-1969 by Ord. No. 719; readopted 10-8-1991 by Ord. No. 873 as Ch. 65 of the 1991 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ABANDONED MOTOR VEHICLE
- A motor vehicle that is inoperable, left unattended, without a current registration or inspection certificate on private property for a period of 30 days or longer or on public property, including Borough streets, ways, alleys and avenues for a period of 48 hours or longer.
- Any discarded material or article, including, but not limited to, scrap metal, any or all scrap, unused or unlicensed motor vehicles, trailers or equipment.
- JUNK DEALER
- Any person who shall be licensed to engage in the business of collecting, storing or reselling of junk, refuse or abandoned motor vehicles.
- SALVAGE YARD
- Any area or structure used primarily for the collecting, storage and sale of junk, refuse or abandoned motor vehicles.
- Any garbage, organic waste, paper, rubbish, rags, refuse or other flammable or nonflammable articles or materials, which have been discarded from their regular use.
No person except a licensed junk dealer shall keep, store, place or suffer to remain openly, upon his private premises or upon any private property or public property any abandoned motor vehicle or junk which shall be unhoused or ungaraged for a period of time in excess of six months.
No person, firm or corporation shall keep, store, place, collect or suffer to remain upon his premises, either private or public, any refuse at any time in the Borough.
Any person may engage in the business as a junk dealer upon application to the Borough Secretary and the payment of an initial license fee of $500, such fee to be for the use of the Borough. Such license may be renewed annually on or before the first day of January of each year, upon payment of the sum of $100 for each and every calendar year thereafter, in which event said junk dealer shall be excluded from the penal provisions of this chapter.
No person licensed as a junk dealer under the provisions of this chapter shall keep more than one place of business within the Borough, nor shall any such person operate upon the streets or roads of said Borough.
Every junk dealer licensed in the Borough shall constantly maintain his premises in the manner prescribed as follows:
Fencing. The operator of said salvage yard shall completely enclose the salvage yard in accordance with state law with a fence or shrubbery to the height of 6 1/2 feet or more.
Nuisances. Salvage yards shall at all times be maintained so as not to constitute a nuisance or a menace to the health of the community or of the residents nearby.
Storage of garbage prohibited. No garbage or other organic waste and no paper, rubbish, rags or other flammable articles or materials shall be stored in salvage yards.
Storage of automobiles; draining of gas and oil. Whenever any motor vehicle shall be received by a salvage yard as junk, all gasoline and oil shall be drained and removed therefrom.
Hours of salvage yard operation. Salvage yards shall not be open for business nor shall any work be done therein in connection with the storage, processing, transportation or removal of junk at any time on Sunday, nor before 7:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m. upon any other day of the week.