[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the Borough of Milford 7-6-1970 as § 5-1 of Ch. 5 of the Revised General Ordinances. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following words shall have the meanings indicated:
- Putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish, as defined herein, and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to the public health, safety and welfare.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys, beaches or other public ways and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, docks, grounds and buildings.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes (except body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
- Every device in, on or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn on a highway, including devices used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks.
No person shall sweep, throw, deposit or dump litter in or on any occupied, open or vacant property, whether or not owned by that person, or in or on any street, sidewalk, park or other public place or any pond, lake or stream or other body of water within the Borough, except in public receptacles or in private receptacles authorized for collection. Persons placing litter in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles shall do so in a manner which prevents the litter from being carried or deposited by the elements on any street, sidewalk or other public place or on private property.
No person, including merchants owning or occupying a place of business, shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the Borough the accumulation of litter from any building or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying property shall keep the sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
No person, while a driver or passenger in a vehicle, shall throw or deposit litter on any street or other public place within the Borough or on private property.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the Borough unless the vehicle is constructed or loaded to prevent any load, contents or litter from being blown or deposited on any street, alley or other public place, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or truck within the Borough, the wheels or tires of which carry or deposit mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or foreign matter of any kind onto any street, alley or other public place.
No person shall bring, cart, remove, transport or collect litter from outside the Borough and bring it into the Borough for the purpose of dumping or disposing thereof. No truck or other vehicle containing litter which has been transported into the Borough shall be parked or allowed to remain standing on any street in the Borough or on any public property for a period in excess of two hours.
No person shall cast or place an advertisement, handbill, circular or paper on a public street, on sidewalks, into vestibules or yards, on porches of dwelling houses or other buildings or into a vehicle while it is on the public highways or on private property within the Borough, but this section shall not apply to newspapers and addressed envelopes delivered to subscribers and addressees. Advertisements, handbills, circulars and papers may be distributed in the Borough if they are so securely placed at each dwelling that they will not be blown away by the wind.