[R.O. 2012 §635.010; Ord. No. 707, 5-3-2005]
It is the purpose of this Chapter to regulate panhandling in order to promote the health, safety, peace, and general welfare of the citizens and visitors of the City of Knob Noster, Missouri.
[R.O. 2012 §635.020; Ord. No. 707, 5-3-2005]
For the purpose of this Chapter, the following terms shall have these prescribed meanings:
- AUTOMATED TELLER MACHINE (ATM)
- A device, linked to a financial institution's account records, which is able to carry out transactions, including, but not limited to: account transfers, deposits, cash withdrawals, balance inquiries, and mortgage and loan payments.
- To walk, stand, sit, or lie, or place an object in such a manner as to block passage by another person or vehicle, or to require another person or a driver of a vehicle to take evasive action to avoid physical contact.
- Any person engaged in the act of panhandling.
- Any solicitation made in person, requesting an immediate donation of money or other thing of value, or purchase of an item for an amount far exceeding its value.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE
- Any vehicle used as a mode of mass transit.
[R.O. 2012 §635.030; Ord. No. 707, 5-3-2005]
It shall be unlawful for any person to panhandle when the person solicited is in any of the following places within the City limits of Knob Noster, Missouri:
At any bus or train stops;
In any public transportation vehicle or facility;
In any vehicle on the street;
Within fifty (50) feet of any automated teller machine (ATM);
On private property, unless the panhandler has express permission from the owner or lawful occupant thereof;
On any public street or sidewalk, public area or property owned by the City.
[R.O. 2012 §635.040; Ord. No. 707, 5-3-2005]
It shall be unlawful for any person to panhandle in any of the following manners:
By intentionally obstructing the path of the person or vehicle of the person being solicited;
By intentionally obstructing the passage through the entrance or exit of any building;
By soliciting anyone under the age of sixteen (16);
By following a person who walks away from the panhandler, if the panhandler's conduct is intended to or is reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation;
By using profane or abusive language, either during the solicitation or following a refusal.
[R.O. 2012 §635.050; Ord. No. 707, 5-3-2005]
Panhandling is permitted only at certain locations authorized by the City of Knob Noster.