As used in this Chapter, the following terms shall mean:
- The Board of Therapeutic Massage.
- CERTIFIED MENTOR
- A practitioner who is qualified for license in this State pursuant to Sections 324.240 to 324.275, RSMo., and who has practiced professionally for five (5) years, with an average of four hundred fifty (450) hours per year of teaching and massage hours and who has been approved by the Board as a massage therapy instructor.
- The Director of the Division of Professional Registration of the Department of Economic Development.
- The Division of Professional Registration of the Department of Economic Development.
- MASSAGE BUSINESS
- Any place of business in which massage therapy is practiced.
- MASSAGE THERAPIST
- A health care practitioner who provides or offers to provide massage therapy, as provided in Sections 324.240 to 324.275, RSMo., to any person at no cost or for a fee, monetary or otherwise, implying that the massage therapist is trained, experienced and licensed in massage therapy, and who holds a current, valid license to practice massage therapy.
- MASSAGE THERAPY
- A health care profession which involves the treatment of the body's tonus system through the scientific or skillful touching, rubbing, pressing or other movements of the soft tissues of the body with the hands, forearms, elbows, or feet, or with the aid of mechanical apparatus, for relaxation, therapeutic, remedial or health maintenance purposes to enhance the mental and physical well-being of the client, but does not include the prescription of medication, spinal or joint manipulation, the diagnosis of illness or disease, or any service or procedure for which a license to practice medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, or podiatry is required by law, or to those occupations defined in Chapter 329, RSMo.
- MASSAGE THERAPY INSTRUCTOR
- An individual who possesses teaching credentials satisfactory to the board for the purpose of teaching massage therapy.
- An individual, corporation, association or other legal entity.
[CC 1999 §16-59(4); Ord. No. 17-44, 11-21-2017]
No person shall engage in the massage business within the City unless such person has first been issued a massage business license by the State of Missouri, and unless such license remains in effect during the term of the City license. No person shall engage in the practice of massage business until such person has been issued a merchants license by the City. Before an individual engages in providing massage therapy the individual must obtain a massage therapist license from the State of Missouri and must maintain the State license so long as the individual is providing massage therapist services.
[CC 1999 §16-59(9); Ord. No. 15-24 §1, 9-28-2015; Ord. No. 17-44, 11-21-2017]
Any person obtaining a license to act as a massage business shall pay to the City Clerk a license fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00). The term of licenses issued shall be for one (1) year beginning January 1 and ending December 31 of the same year. All license fees shall be paid in full and in advance. Any new massage business commencing business in the last quarter of the year shall pay a prorated fee of twelve dollars and fifty cents ($12.50).
Every massage business renewing a license shall submit the required license application and fee on or before January 1.
[CC 1999 §16-59(10); Ord. No. 17-44, 11-21-2017]
No massage business license shall be transferable.
[Ord. No. 17-44, 11-21-2017]
Grounds. The City may, in addition to other penalties provided by ordinance, deny renew, suspend or revoke the license of any massage business upon conviction for any of the following offenses:
An offense resulting in a conviction involving the use of force or violence upon the person of another;
An offense resulting in a conviction involving provisions of Sections 563.011 through 563.140, 563.270 through 563.290, Revised Statutes of Missouri, or similar laws in any other jurisdiction;
Making any false, misleading or fraudulent statement of fact in the license application for a massage business or in any other document required by the City in conjunction therewith.