[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of the Township of West Manheim as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Taxation — See Ch. 242.
[Adopted 11-2-2006 by Ord. No. 4-2006]
This article shall be known as and may be cited as the "West Manheim Township Landlord Reporting Ordinance."
This article is enacted to provide for the uniform and equitable distribution of the tax levies in West Manheim Township and upon the inhabitants thereof and to promote the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the inhabitants of the Township.
For the purposes of this article, the following words shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section:
- BUSINESS UNIT
- A parcel of real estate, with or without improvements located thereon, utilized by any person or persons for any commercial activity or purpose.
- DWELLING UNIT
- One or more rooms used for living and sleeping purposes arranged for occupancy by one family or by one or more persons.
- A lessor, or person who acts as agent for the lessor, of any parcel of real estate located in West Manheim Township, or a lessor, or person who acts as agent for the lessor, of any improvements on real estate or any building located in West Manheim Township.
- Any individual, partnership, association, corporation or firm.
- RENTAL PROPERTY
- Any building, structure, mobile home, mobile home pad, campsite or parcel of land in the Township, in whole or in part, occupied for dwelling purposes or used as a residence by any individual other than any individual owning such property or any minor child of such individual owner.
- A person who has the use, either by himself or with others, of a dwelling unit or a business unit owned by a person other than himself, for a period exceeding 30 days.
Within 30 days from the effective date of this article, each person owning rental property within West Manheim Township shall provide the following information, in writing, to the Township Secretary:
A list of the dwelling units and business units owned by the landlord and located within West Manheim Township, whether occupied or unoccupied;
The physical address of each such rental property;
A brief description of each such rental property;
Whether or not said rental property is inhabited or otherwise utilized by tenants;
The name of all tenants inhabiting or utilizing each rental property.
After the effective date of this article, any person who becomes a landlord of any parcel of real estate or any improvement on real estate or building located within West Manheim Township by agreement of sale, by deed, or by any other means, shall, within 30 days thereafter, report to the Township Secretary the information and data set forth in § 200-4 above.
After the effective date of this article, each and every landlord within West Manheim Township shall report to the Township Secretary, in writing, any change in the use or occupancy of any rental property owned by such landlord. The reported change shall include the name or names of new tenants of such rental property, the date when such change was effected, and the forwarding address of the old tenant/tenants if known. A landlord of a hotel, inn or boardinghouse shall not be required to report a person as a "tenant" until that person has resided in such landlord's establishment for a period exceeding 30 days. In the event of a previously occupied rental property becoming vacant, this change shall also be reported to the Township Secretary. All reports as required by this section shall be made within 30 days after a landlord has knowledge that such a unit has had a change in occupancy or has become vacant.
The West Manheim Township Secretary, under the authority of this article, shall maintain on file at the Township office the names of the landlords owning rental properties within the Township, said list to include the names of the current tenants.
Any person who violates or permits a violation of this article shall, upon conviction in a summary proceeding brought before a Magisterial District Judge under the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure, be guilty of a summary offense and shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000, plus costs of prosecution. In default of payment thereof, the defendant may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days. Each day or portion thereof that such violation continues or is permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense, and each section of this article that is violated shall also constitute a separate offense.