City of Hollister, MO
Taney County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[CC 1983 §112.010]
No water shall be furnished except through a service installed by the Water Department of the City. Such service installation shall include excavation, tapping the main, service line to the meter installation, but not beyond the property line, meter tile, meter tile cover, five-eighths (⅝) inch through three-fourths (¾) inch meter and meter connecting fittings and backfilling the installation. The cost of this installation shall be in lieu of any other main connecting fees and shall be such a fee and not a transaction in which the materials are purchased. The ownership of such service line and other appurtenances installed by the Water Department of the City shall remain with the water system of the City. The responsibility for maintenance and repairs to service lines installed as above will be that of the Water Department. The maintenance for any meter which is over five-eighths (⅝) inch through three-fourths (¾) inch in size shall remain the responsibility of the property owner. If the service line is replaced by the Water Department and if the owner executes an assignment of such service line to the Water Department, then such service line shall be the property of the Water Department and shall be maintained by such Department.
[Ord. No. 410 §112.031, 11-1-1990; Ord. No. 96-24 §705.020, 9-10-1996]
Installation of any water service shall be at the expense of the contractor, developer, homeowner or builder desiring water service.
[CC 1983 §112.040]
A suitable brass stopcock with round waterway must be placed in the service pipe, so that the T head will stand parallel with the curb when the water is off, to allow the City to control the flow of water through any such pipe, located inside the curbstone and as near thereto as practicable, with iron stop box of such pattern as may be approved by the Mayor. Should it become necessary to dig the box out for the purpose of turning the water on or off, it shall be at the expense of the water taker. No person other than the Mayor or one duly authorized by him/her shall turn on the water at any stopcock or meter or in any other manner take water from the water mains.
[CC 1983 §112.050]
Along streets where water mains are laid, service pipes shall not be allowed to run across lots, that is, from one lot to another, but must be taken from the mains in front of the premises or some point in the street adjacent to the same, except by special permit of the Mayor; provided, that one service pipe may be used to supply all the parties taking water within sixty (60) feet on either side of such service pipe, in which case such branch service must have a curb stop and box. No more than one house shall be supplied from one tap except by special permit of the Mayor.
[CC 1983 §112.060]
No corporation cock shall be inserted for any premises where one has been previously inserted for water conveyed, for the purpose of giving an increased supply, except in pursuance of a new application and permit. Nor shall any attachment be made to any premises previously supplied with water, until the corporation cock previously used shall be drawn and the opening securely stopped with a brass plug, at the expense of the owners of the premises. Nor shall any two (2) corporation cocks be inserted into any street main within less than ten (10) inches of one another.
[CC 1983 §112.070; Ord. No. 12-15, 7-5-2012]
No cross-connection or connection between any pipe carrying water from the waterworks of the City and water from any other source of supply shall be made. No pipe or orifice or opening of any kind shall be installed or permitted in any pipe or conductor of water from such waterworks in any tank, vessel, reservoir or container of any kind, below the water level or possible water level.
[Ord. No. 12-15, 7-5-2012]
No entity, corporation, owner, individual, or group shall have an irrigation well installed inside the City limits without first obtaining a special use permit through the City of Hollister as defined in Section 400.180(A). Certain requirements must be met before the special use permit can be issued.
The requirements for such wells shall be:
Follow the requirements set forth by the DNR's Division of Geology and Land Surveying.
No cross-connection of any irrigation or non-public well to any public water line.
No irrigation or non-public well may be installed within one thousand (1,000) feet of any other well.
Irrigation or any other non-public wells shall not be drilled deeper than eight hundred (800) feet.
Well shaft shall be six (6) inches or less in diameter.
Well pump setting depth shall be limited to three hundred (300) feet above sea level.
Irrigation well(s) may continue in use so long as the well is regularly operated and maintained. Any irrigation well which ceases to be used for a period of twelve (12) months shall be deemed closed and shall be properly abandoned within ninety (90) days following notice from the City of Hollister. Abandonment of such well shall be in accordance with standards of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
[CC 1983 §112.080]
All persons using City water for steam engines or heating or refrigerating plants shall provide suitable tanks of capacity sufficient to afford a supply for at least ten (10) hours in case the water should be shut off.
[CC 1983 §112.090]
All water supplied by the waterworks shall be charged and paid for by meter measurement and no water will be supplied without such meter. Nothing in this Chapter shall be so construed as to mean that more than one meter will be furnished for any one building or premises, but where two (2) or more dwellings are located on one lot, each of its dwellings or the occupant or owner thereof shall pay at the regular rates for the water used in each house or dwelling.
[CC 1983 §112.100]
All water meters measuring water furnished by the waterworks of the City shall be installed in an approved meter box, provided with inside lugs or bolts by which is secured an approved cast iron meter box cover with lid that can be locked or sealed and the dial of the meter shall be not less than eight (8) inches nor more than fourteen (14) inches from the lid of the box, and the lid shall not be lower than the surface of the ground nor more than one (1) inch above the level of the ground, shall be provided with an approved fastening that can be securely locked or sealed, and all such water meter boxes shall be installed at the expense of the owner of the building or premises in a location provided by such owner or approved by the Mayor, and to be at all times easily accessible to City employees duly authorized by the Mayor to read, inspect or repair the meter, and shall insofar as shall be found possible or practical be located as near as possible to the line dividing the street or alley from the lot or in the space between the street pavement and the sidewalk, and where such meter box is not installed in such accessible location, such meter box may be installed under the direction and supervision of the Mayor and the owner of the building, premises or lot shall be charged for the labor and material required; provided, that where water meters are now installed in buildings or basements in locations safe from frost and accessible at all times to City employees, and where at the same time no other more suitable location can be found for such meter, there may be installed around such meter by the direction and supervision of the Mayor, an approved metal box or enclosure that can be securely locked or sealed. No person other than one duly authorized by the Mayor shall open any meter box or lock or break any seal. The owner or water user shall keep safe from molestation meter boxes, locks and seals and where boxes or locks are found open or seals broken it shall be considered prima facie evidence that it has been done by the water user. Whenever water meters are furnished by the City, approved connections or yokes shall be furnished by the owner or water user.
[Ord. No. 01-08, 2-15-2001; Ord. No. 04-22, 4-1-2004; Ord. No. 07-33, 9-20-2007]
The water distribution and drainage system of any building in which plumbing fixtures are installed shall be connected to a public water system, if available. Where a public water main is not available, an individual water supply shall be provided.
Connection shall be within ninety (90) days after official notice to do so, provided that said public water is within three hundred (300) feet of the property line.
Whenever an extension of the public water system is necessary in order to serve an applicant whose premises are located within the area served by the City, such extension shall be at the expense of the contractor/developer.
A performance bond equal to the estimated cost of the water line extension on said extension shall be provided to the City. Such bond may be in the form of irrevocable letter of credit, cash or insurance.
[CC 1983 §112.110; Ord. No. 07-34, 9-20-2007]
When a connection is made to supply water for building purposes, the service pipe shall be metered and shall be carried at the expense of the party building to the inside of the curbstone line where a proper curb stop shall be placed with a pipe leading to the surface, the faucet of which shall be kept secured and locked when not in use. When the building is completed, the faucet and pipe shall be taken up and the water shut off at the curb stop.
[CC 1983 §112.120]
Whenever extensions are desired or new connections are to be made in place of old ones to the City water supply, permits must be obtained in the usual manner. It shall be the duty of all plumbers to make return in writing to the office of the Mayor before the water will be turned on, of all connections made by them, giving a description of the premises, location of the corporation cock, length of service pipe, number of feet from the northerly or easterly line of the lot or premises to the place where the tap in the main is located, together with the names of the occupants and the owner of the premises, and it shall be the duty of all plumbers to produce a special permit before making any change in connections that have been made with the water mains.
[CC 1983 §112.130]
No consumer or other person whose water service shall have been turned off for any reason shall turn on the water or reopen the service, or permit the same to be done by any person, except by order of the Mayor.
[CC 1983 §112.140]
No person shall take water for private use from any public hydrant, plug, draw cock, hose, pipe or fountain furnished for fire purposes or other public use, without the consent of the Mayor, and a special permit therefor having been paid for and received therefor. The Mayor shall determine the charge for said permit, which shall be his/her estimate as to the cost of any water used and extraordinary expenses incurred by the City in providing supervisory personnel or other extraordinary service.
[CC 1983 §112.150]
No person shall hitch any horse or mule to any fire hydrant, or open any fire hydrant, or remove or obstruct the stopcock cover of any fire hydrant, or paint, mark or deface any fire hydrant or any public or private stopcock, or place or deposit any dirt or other material in any such stopcock boxes or in any meter box, or turn any public or private stopcock, or commit any act tending to obstruct the use thereof, or in any manner tamper with or injure any building, meter box, valve box, valve, engine, motor, pump or other machinery, pipe, hose, tools, fixtures or apparatus of the waterworks.
[CC 1983 §112.160]
No person shall bathe or fish in any reservoir belonging to the waterworks of the City or place anything whatever in any reservoir, well, aerator, filter or any opening of any kind in any pipe or hydrant belonging to the waterworks of the City or perform any other act which might contaminate the water.