[Adopted 1978 by Ord. No. 502 (Ch. 1.04 of the 1979 Code)]
The following words and phrases, whenever used in the ordinances of the City of El Paso, Woodford County, Illinois, shall be construed as defined in this section unless from the context a different meaning is intended or unless a different meaning is specifically defined and more particularly directed to the use of such words or phrases:
- The City of El Paso, Woodford County, Illinois, or the area within the territorial limits of the City of El Paso, Woodford County, Illinois and such territory outside of the City over which it has jurisdiction or control by virtue of any constitutional or statutory provision.
- The City Council of the City and includes the City's six Aldermen and Mayor.
- The County of Woodford.
- DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC SERVICE
- The person appointed by the Mayor to oversee the streets,
alleys, sidewalks and combined waterworks and sewerage system of the
City and perform such other duties as may be required by the Mayor
and Council. That person may be the City Administrator, if one is
appointed, or such other person appointed to fulfill these duties.[Added 2-6-2017 by Ord. No. 994]
- Applicable federal law, the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Illinois, the ordinances of the City, and, when appropriate, any and all rules and regulations which may be promulgated thereunder.
- Is permissive.
- A calendar month.
- MUST AND SHALL
- Are each mandatory.
- Includes an affirmation or declaration in all cases in which, by law, an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in such cases the words "swear" and "sworn" shall be equivalent to the words "affirm" and "affirmed."
- As applied to a building or land, includes any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, joint tenant, tenant by the entirety, of the whole or a part of such building or land.
- Includes a natural person, joint venture, joint stock company, partnership, association, club, company, corporation, business, trust, organization, or the manager, lessee, agent, servant, officer or employee of any of them.
- PERSONAL PROPERTY
- Includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidences of debt.
- PRECEDING AND FOLLOWING
- Next before and next after, respectively.
- Includes real and personal property.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Includes lands, tenements and hereditaments.
- That portion of a street intended principally for the use of pedestrians.
- The State of Illinois.
- Includes all streets, highways, avenues, lanes, alleys, courts, places, squares, curbs, or other public ways in this City which have been or may hereafter be dedicated or opened to public use, or such other public property so designated in any law of this state.
- TENANT, OCCUPANT, OR RESIDENT
- As applied to a building or land, includes any person who occupies the whole or a part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- Includes printed or otherwise reproduced in permanent visible
form.[Amended 2-6-2017 by Ord. No. 994]
- A calendar year.
Editor's Note: The definition of "wholesaler or wholesale dealer," which immediately followed this definition, was repealed 2-6-2017 by Ord. No. 994.
Use of the title of any officer, employee, department, board or commission means that officer, employee, department, board or commission of the City.
All words and phrases shall be construed according to the common and approved usage of the language, but technical words and phrases and such others as may have acquired a peculiar and appropriate meaning in the law shall be construed and understood according to such peculiar and appropriate meaning.
The following grammatical rules shall apply in the ordinances of the City, unless it is apparent from the context that a different construction is intended:
Gender. Each gender includes the masculine, feminine and neuter genders.
Singular and plural. The singular number includes the plural and the plural includes the singular.
Tenses. Words used in the present tense include the past and the future tenses and vice versa, unless manifestly inapplicable.
When an act is required by an ordinance, the same being such that it may be done as well by an agent as by the principal, such requirement shall be construed to include all such acts performed by an authorized agent.
Whenever in the ordinances of the City any act or omission is made unlawful, it shall include causing, allowing, permitting, aiding, abetting, suffering, or concealing the fact of such act or omission.
Except when otherwise provided, the time within which an act is required to be done shall be computed by excluding the first day and including the last day, unless the last day is Sunday or a holiday, in which case it shall also be excluded.
The provisions of the ordinances of the City, and all proceedings under them, are to be construed with a view to effect their objects and to promote justice.
The repeal of any ordinance shall not repeal the repealing clause of an ordinance or revive any ordinance which has been repealed thereby.