[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of New Rochelle 7-19-2016 by Ord. No. 163-2016. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to create a directory of structures housing three or more students in an effort to protect the safety of students from overcrowding situations and to mitigate any negative impacts such uses may have on the surrounding neighborhoods.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any property, site or place within the City of New Rochelle that is authorized for such use (whether as a matter of right, upon the issuance of a special use permit, or otherwise).
- PROPERTY MANAGER
- A person with administrative authority over the premises.
- REGISTER or REGISTRATION
- The submission to the City of a fully completed registration form.
- REGISTRATION FORM
- An online application to be completed by a student housing business and pertaining solely to the business and its location in the City, including but not limited to the business's legal name, assumed name, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, street address, the name and telephone number of a person at the business to contact in the event of an emergency and such other related information as the City Manager may require.
- STUDENT HOUSING BUSINESS
- A one-family, two-family, three-family or multiple-family dwelling that is otherwise in compliance with the Zoning Ordinance and that houses three or more students attending or about to attend a college or university, or who are on a semester or summer break from studies at a college or university. Any such dwelling that houses students as described herein shall constitute a student housing business for the purposes of this chapter.
All student housing businesses shall register no later than September 30 of each year, and such registration shall expire on May 31. A new registration is required each year.
A student housing business that commences its initial operation within the City after September 30 shall complete its registration within 30 days after such commencement.
Any student housing business conducting, operating, or engaging in any business within the City of New Rochelle shall file a completed online business registration application with the City.
The business registration form for each business applying shall contain the following information and any other information deemed necessary by the City Manager:
Student housing business address.
Business phone, fax number and e-mail address.
Address and contact information of owner.
Number and location of all smoke detectors in the premises and whether there is a fire alarm system and/or fire extinguishers in the premises.
Presence and location of hazardous/chemical materials on site.
Designated property manager; either a superintendent living in the premises or a local managing agent with offices in the City of New Rochelle or an abutting town, available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Number of students residing in the premises for each semester and the number of bedrooms.
Upon completion of the registration form, a registration certificate shall be issued that is to be prominently displayed at the place of business.
Any existing student housing businesses in the City of New Rochelle as of the enactment of this chapter must comply with the terms of this chapter no later than September 30.
Any student housing business having received a registration certificate is required to amend any information submitted on the application as changes occur. Notice must be given to the City within 30 days of such changes.
If it is determined that any information in a registration form is false or if any student housing business registered under this chapter violates any provision or requirement herein, the City will give notice to the business of that determination. If the business fails to correct the false information or violation within 10 days of notification, the City may revoke the registration. The City shall notify the student housing business of such revocation. Penalties shall be as set forth in Chapter 133, Fees.
Student housing businesses shall submit to periodic inspections from City departments, including without limitation the New Rochelle Department of Development, Bureau of Buildings, and/or the New Rochelle Fire Department.
It shall be unlawful for a student housing business to fail to register a business as required by this chapter. Any violation or failure to comply with any provision of this chapter shall be fined as set forth in Chapter 133, Fees.