The Township Committee of the Township of Knowlton finds and determines that the unregulated and uncontrolled relocation, filling, excavation and removal of soil on a large scale or for sale or for use other than on the premises has or may result in conditions detrimental to the public safety, health and general welfare, substantially hampering and deterring the efforts of the Township to effectuate the general purpose of municipal planning.
The chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Township of Knowlton Soil Removal Chapter."
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- APPROVED SITE PLAN
- A site plan for soil removal approved either by the Planning Board of Adjustment or Planning Board and by the Township Committee, pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
- ARABLE SOIL
- Soil that, when dry, contains not less that 4% by weight of organic matter and the balance of which is mineral matter.
- Soil removal permit.
- Includes dirt, stone, gravel, sand, humus, clay, loam and mixtures of any of these, including ballast or processed fill.
- SURFACE MINE or MINING
- Any excavation, pit, bank or open cut where all mining activity is exposed to the open sky, working for the removal of stone, rock, gravel, sand, soil or any other mineral, and shall embrace any and all parts of the property of such open pit mine that contributes directly or indirectly to the extraction of such mineral.
- The arable soil within eight inches of the surface.