[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of East Hampton as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Use and Disposal of Fracking Waste
For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking or placing of any waste into or on any land or water so that such waste, or any constituent of such waste, may enter the environment, be emitted into the air or discharged into any waters of the state.
- HYDRAULIC FRACTURING
- The process of pumping a fluid into or under the surface of the ground in order to create fractures in rock for exploration, development, production or recovery of gas. "Hydraulic fracturing" does not include the drilling or repair of a geothermal water well or any other well drilled or repaired for drinking water purposes.
- Any individual, firm, partnership, association, syndicate, company, trust, corporation, limited liability company, municipality, agency or political or administrative subdivision of the state.
- The holding of waste for a temporary period, at the end of which the waste is treated, disposed of or stored elsewhere.
- To move from one vehicle to another or to move from one mode of transportation to another.
- Any method, technique or process designed to change the physical, chemical or biological character or composition of any waste.
- WASTE FROM HYDRAULIC FRACTURING
- Any wastewater, wastewater solids, brine, sludge, drill cuttings or any other substance used for or generated secondarily to the purpose of hydraulic fracturing.
No person shall collect or transport untreated waste from hydraulic fracturing for receipt, acceptance, storage, disposal or transfer in the Town of East Hampton.
No person may sell, offer for sale, barter, manufacture, distribute or use any product for anti-icing, de-icing, pre-wetting or dust suppression that is derived from or that contains waste from hydraulic fracturing unless such product has been approved for such use by the CT DEEP.