[Adopted 1-16-2018 by L.L. No. 1-2018]
Except as specifically defined in this section, all words and terms used in this article shall carry their customary meaning and shall be interpreted and construed to carry out the purpose and intent of this article.
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CAT OWNER
- A person who is an owner of a cat or a person who keeps, harbors, or feeds a cat. The owner does not need to be a resident of the Village of Springville, but the cat must be within the Village limits. This excludes TNVR volunteers.
- COMMUNITY CAT
- A cat without an owner. A cat that is stray or feral. Stray cats are homeless but are usually socialized to humans. Feral cats are not socialized to humans.
- DOMESTIC CAT
- A cat that is social to humans, lives within the residence or on the property of a human, and is cared for by a human.
- TRAP, NEUTER, VACCINATE, AND RETURN (TNVR) PROGRAM
- A program in which community and feral cats are humanely trapped. This sometimes involves feeding the community cats to gain trust in order to trap them. The cats are then evaluated, vaccinated, spayed or neutered, marked in some way to identify that the cat has been sterilized, and then returned to the location where they were trapped. TNVR volunteers shall not be deemed cat owners by performing these tasks.
No license is required for a cat.
It shall be unlawful for any resident in the Village of Springville to:
Own more than four cats. Household dogs and cats must not exceed a combined total of six animals, with no more than four dogs or four cats.
Own, harbor, keep, have custody of, or control a cat and permit or allow such cat to create noise problems or commit any nuisance by urinating or defecating on or otherwise damage property belonging to another person.
To effectuate the implementation of this article of the Village Code, the Village Code Enforcement Officer has the right to enforce any provision of this article within the Village of Springville.
The Village Code Enforcement Officer shall have the right to issue a citation for any violation of this article.
Any person owning, harboring, or feeding a cat shall be deemed to be the owner of such cat for the purpose of this article. This excludes TNVR volunteers.
Fines as determined by the Village Court, as applicable, may be imposed for violations of this article, each such fine to be minimally in the amount of $50 per violation.