[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of East Brunswick 10-23-67 as Ord. No. 67-93 and as Sec. 4-3 of the Revised General Ordinances. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms and their derivatives shall have the meanings indicated:
- Putrescible animal and vegetable waste resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking or consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish as defined herein and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety or welfare or otherwise constitutes a nuisance.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, lanes, parkways, sidewalks, municipal parking lots, alleys or other public ways and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, recreation areas, grounds and buildings.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes, except body wastes, including but not limited to garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
No person shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the township the accumulation of litter from any building or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying places of business within the township shall keep the sidewalks in front of their business premises free of litter.
No person while a driver or passenger in a vehicle shall throw or deposit litter upon any street or other public place within the township.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the township unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any load or contents of litter from being blown or deposited upon any street or other public place; nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or truck within the township, the wheels or tires of which carry out or deposit in any street or other public place mud, dirt, sticky substance or foreign matter of any kind.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in any fountain, pond, lake, stream, river or any other body of water in a park or elsewhere in the township.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any private property within the township, whether owned by such person or not, except that the owner or person in control of private property may maintain authorized private receptacles for collection in such a manner that litter will be prevented from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk, other public place or upon any private property. This section shall not apply to litter resulting from the normal course of construction of any buildings or parts thereof during the period of construction.
The owner or person in control of any private property shall at all times maintain the premises free of litter; provided, however, that this section shall not prohibit the storage of litter in authorized private receptacles for collection.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in or upon any street, sidewalk or other public place within the township or on those portions of any private property that are open to the public.
No person shall bring, cart, remove, transport or collect any litter from outside this municipality or into this municipality for the purpose of dumping or disposing thereof, except in those areas that have been authorized for such purpose.