Whereas, there has been in recent years an influx of peddlers and solicitors, some of whom conduct business in the Town of New Hartford for short periods of time, with no permanent location, and after selling their wares, leave the Town of New Hartford without any recourse to the consumer for defective and/or inferior goods, and whereas, not to interfere with interstate commerce but to protect the citizens of the Town of New Hartford, the Town Board has determined that certain restrictions and requirements are necessary.
For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section.
- A. Any benevolent, philanthropic, patriotic, not-for-profit, educational, religious or eleemosynary group, association or corporation which qualifies under § 501 of the Internal Revenue Code as a tax-exempt organization.
- B. A fire company which is organized for the prevention and extinguishment of fires.
- The promise or grant of any money, credit, property, financial assistance or any other thing of value, including payments for literature in excess of the fair market value of said literature.
- Any person, either principal or agent who in any public street, road or highway or public place or from any vacant property, whether publicly or privately owned, or by going from place to place or house to house, on foot or on or from a vehicle delivers or distributes advertising matter, literature, pamphlets, samples or handbills or sells or offers for sale, barter or exchange any goods, wares, merchandise, service or any other article or thing whatsoever, either in his/her possession or not in his/her possession, either for immediate or for future delivery.
- A natural person, corporation, partnership, association, joint-stock company, society or any other entity of any kind.
- RESIDENTIAL PREMISES
- A house, apartment, condominium, cooperative or mobile home which is used as a dwelling place or domicile by the occupant.
- Any person, either principal or agent, who, in any public street, road or highway or public place, from any vacant property, whether publicly or privately owned, or by going from place to place or house to house, on foot or on or from a vehicle, requests or accepts a contribution.
- SOLICITOR FOR A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION/CAUSE
- A person who solicits contributions or acts on behalf of a charitable organization.
- Any automobile, truck, wagon or cart, either propelled by hand, motor power or animals, or any other means of transportation of persons or commodities or locomotion.