[Adopted 2-7-1973 by L.L. No. 2-1973]
For the purpose of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any Town, county or state highway within the Town of Monroe excepting state highways maintained by the state.
- PARK or PARKING
- The standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers.
- Any person, firm, association, corporation or legal representative acting individually or jointly.
- The duly elected Town Superintendent of Highways for the Town of Monroe.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
[Amended 10-19-1988 by L.L. No. 5-1988]
It shall be unlawful for any person to park any vehicle on a highway within the Town between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
[Added 10-19-1988 by L.L. No. 5-1988; amended 2-25-2019 by L.L. No. 1-2019]
It shall be unlawful for any person to park any vehicle on a public road located in the Town of Monroe whenever snow is accumulating or ice is forming on the roadway and if snowfall or icy road conditions have been forecasted. Upon commencement of snowfall or the formation of ice on the roadways, parking on all public roads is prohibited until such roads are treated and/or plowed and cleared to the curb or edge of the pavement. Upon commencement of snowfall or the formation of ice on the roadways, the owner or another licensed person in charge of or in control of any such vehicle standing upon any such road shall move or cause the vehicle to be moved so as not to delay, hinder or obstruct the remediation efforts, snowplowing or snow removal from any public road.
The Superintendent is hereby authorized to remove and store any vehicle parked in violation of this article. The Superintendent shall not release any such vehicle so removed until the cost to the Town, as certified by the Superintendent, of removal, including towing and storage, shall have been paid to the Town Clerk.
A violation of this article shall constitute a traffic infraction, and any person violating this article shall be liable to a fine of not more than $250 or to imprisonment for not more than 15 days, or both, for each such violation.