City of Chicopee, MA
Hampden County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Aldermen (now City Council) of the City of Chicopee as Ch. 41 of the 1976 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Conservation Commission — See Ch. 16, Art. IV.
Public Works Department — See Ch. 80.
Trees — See Ch. 257.
There shall be a Forestry Department, under the direction of the Tree Warden, which shall have the general charge of the care and control of all public shade trees, shrubs and growths in the City, except those within a state highway and those in public parks, and shall maintain and preserve such trees, shrubs and growths.
The Forestry Department shall consist of a Senior Tree Climber and Surgeon who shall, in addition to his duties, have the duties of Tree Warden; and one (1) or more tree climbers and such other permanent and temporary tree climbers or laborers as shall from time to time be deemed necessary.
All appointments to positions in this Department shall be made by the Mayor, subject to the provisions of civil service.
All persons presently holding positions as described in this chapter, under the supervision of the Tree Warden, shall retain their said positions with no change in status, seniority or classified service.
The Duties of Tree Warden, as defined by MGL c. 87, shall be added to the duties of the Senior Tree Climber and Surgeon, and the sum of $1,320 yearly shall be paid said person to whom these duties are assigned. The Senior Tree Climber and Surgeon shall be the one having longevity of service in said position.
[Added 3-19-1991 by Ord. No. 91-13]
Wood chips produced from small-diameter limbs and branches will first be made available for use on City property, as needed. Full loads of excess wood chips will be dumped within the City limits for anyone requesting them per Subsection D. Wood chips will be disposed of at the landfill as a last resort.
Small-diameter limbs will be cut up and left on the tree belt for neighborhood residents to take.
Large-diameter trunks (tree butts) will also be made available for private use. The City will dump full loads of these large-diameter pieces within the City limit's for anyone requesting them per Subsection D. Landfill disposal will be a last resort. (NOTE: These butts are not split or cut into small pieces and must be accepted as loaded and dumped from City trucks. The City accepts no liability for damage to private property which may result or arise or be related to or connected to in any way the City's actions in making large-diameter trunks or wood chips available as herein provided.)
Requests for loads of wood chips or large-diameter tree trunks should be forwarded, in writing, to the General Foreman of the Forestry Department at the Department of Public Works. All material will be distributed as it becomes available in the order of requests received.