Town of Agawam, MA
Hampden County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
The Planning Board herewith stipulates rules and regulations for the subdivision and/or development of land which lies within the floodplain as described in the Town Ordinance.[1]
Editor's Note: See Art. XII of Ch. 180, Zoning.
Authority for these regulations is derived from the commitment of the Town of Agawam to the Federal Insurance Administrator under the Federal Flood Insurance Act. These rules and regulations shall take priority over any conflicting regulations of the Planning Board.
The finished grade of land at all sides of any major building shall be set at a minimum grade above flood level as determined by the Planning Board from historic flood data.
The total area may not be removed from the floodplain or graded in such a way as to cause additional hazard to the remainder of the floodplain areas. No more than one-third (1/3) of the total area may be regraded or filled.
More than one exit from the total area shall be provided for emergency evacuations by clearing and suitable grading and related work, and no obstructions to vehicular passage shall be allowed within the exit route. This exit may not require paving or other surfacing. The developer shall so note any deeds concerning obstructions to passage.
Utilities. Town sewer systems shall be constructed to the specifications of the Department of Public Works and Board of Health to ensure safety from flooding. All water lines, gas and electric lines shall be constructed with suitable area master shutoff valves. All aboveground utility control boxes shall be constructed to avoid flood damage and to elevations as determined by the Planning Board. Electric and telephone lines shall be underground and all access to underground utilities shall be constructed to the specifications of the Department of Public Works. Any drainage pipes opening into the floodway (river or stream) shall be constructed to the specifications of the Department of Public Works to prevent flooding of the system.
All plans reviewed by this Board which lie in the floodplain shall be stamped or legally noted so that landowners and future occupants shall be aware of their responsibilities. The notation shall be endorsed on Form A, Subdivision Control Not Required, as well as Form B, Subdivision Control, preliminary and definitive plans.[1]
Editor's Note: Forms A and B are on file in the Planning Department offices.