[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Oxford 9-18-1997 by Ord. No. 97-10 (Ch. 90 of the 1974 Township Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is hereby determined and declared that the abandonment or storage out of doors of any motor vehicle not currently in use for transportation and not currently licensed or registered for use on any public street or on any public or private lands within the Township is contrary and inimical to the public welfare in that such vehicles so abandoned or stored attract or may attract persons of tender years who, being so attracted, may play in and about them and be injured in so doing and in that such vehicles so abandoned or stored out of doors deteriorate and are unsightly and are detrimental to and depreciate the value of properties in the neighborhood where they are located and in the Township as a whole.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any motor vehicle, omnibus, road tractor, trailer, truck, truck trailer or vehicle which is found without the current year's registration or identification markers as required by law for a period of 10 continuous days, or which is so disabled as to constitute an obstruction to traffic and the driver or person owning or in charge thereof neglects or refuses to move the same to a place where it will not obstruct traffic, or which is found to be mechanically inoperative and is allowed to remain inoperative for a period of 45 days (said period of time may be extended for good cause by the Police Department).
- JUNK AUTOMOBILE or JUNK AUTOMOBILE BODY
- Any automobile which is no longer in actual use as a motor vehicle, which is wholly unfit without rebuilding or reconditioning for use in highway transportation, or which has been discarded for use as a motor vehicle or otherwise abandoned.
- Any individual, firm, partnership or corporation being the owner or having any legal right in, of or to the motor vehicle or other vehicle, as herein defined.
- POLICE DEPARTMENT
- The Police Department of the Township of Oxford.
- TRAILER, TRUCK, TRUCK TRAILER, VEHICLE, MOTOR VEHICLE, OMNIBUS or ROAD TRACTOR
- As defined in N.J.S.A. 39:1-1 et seq. of the Revised Statutes of the State of New Jersey.
It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon or suffer or permit the abandoning of any vehicle, omnibus, road tractor, trailer, truck or truck trailer or other vehicle, as defined herein, out of doors upon any public or private lands in the Township of Oxford or on any public street or between the right-of-way side lines of any public right-of-way therein. Nothing herein contained shall be deemed to prohibit the placing, keeping or storage of any such vehicle in a carport, enclosed garage, barn or other building.
This chapter shall not apply to lawfully operated junkyards nor to motor vehicles located or stored in garages or other buildings or the impounded areas established by the Township Committee nor to motor vehicles being held for sale, resale, repair or maintenance, if at a regular place of business where such commercial activity is permitted, nor to vehicles used for agricultural, business or property maintenance purposes, which vehicles are not required to be registered because they remain and are used solely on private property.
Any vehicle, omnibus, road tractor, trailer, truck or truck trailer or other vehicle, including motorcycles, motorized bikes and mopeds, which is abandoned or stolen as hereinabove set forth shall be impounded by the Police Department. Any person who seeks to recover an impounded vehicle shall pay a storage fee at the rate of $15 per day, except that the fee for motorcycles, motorized bikes and mopeds shall be $5 per day. Storage fees for abandoned vehicles shall commence upon the date of impoundment; however, storage fees for vehicles reported stolen shall commence three days following the date of first notification thereof to the owner by the Police Department. Fees may be paid and automobiles may be recovered at the Police Department during the regular working hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. For purposes of determining the storage fee charged, any vehicle impounded after 9:00 p.m. shall be deemed to have been impounded on the following day.
No person shall place, keep or store any junk automobiles or junk automobile body on any public or private property within the Township of Oxford, nor shall any person who owns any real property with the Township allow any such automobile or body to remain on his land; and failure to remove such automobile or body after seven days' notice to do so by the police shall constitute a violation of this chapter.
Any minor charged with violating the provisions of this chapter for the first offense shall be issued a warning notice by the enforcement officer, and a copy thereof shall be forwarded to the parent, guardian or custodian of such minor.
Any minor who shall violate the provisions of this chapter after having been issued a warning notice as described in Subsection A shall be deemed to be a juvenile offender.
Any parent or guardian or any person having the care, custody and control of any minor under the age of 18 years of age who shall permit said minor to operate a motor vehicle in violation of this chapter shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed 90 days, or both.
Any person of the age of 18 years or over who shall violate any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed 90 days, or both.