[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Health of the Township of Cranbury 1-2-1992 by Ord. No. OH 12-91-02. Amendments noted where applicable.]
All retail food establishments shall comply with Chapter 12 of the New Jersey State Sanitary Code relating to the construction, operation and maintenance of retail food establishments; and all violations are hereby declared to be nuisances hazardous to health.
It shall be unlawful for any person(s) or any body corporate to conduct a retail food establishment, as defined in and governed by Chapter 12 of the New Jersey State Sanitary Code relating to the construction, operation and maintenance of retail food establishments, without first having procured a license from the Board of Health, or to conduct said activities without complying with any or all of the provisions concerning the construction, operation and maintenance of the same as contained in the aforementioned Chapter 12 of the New Jersey State Sanitary Code.
The annual license fee to be paid for conducting a retail food establishment shall be the sum of $50. If said annual license fee is not paid within 30 days of its due date, the fee shall be increased to the sum of $100.
The license granted by the Board of Heath shall expire on the 31st day of December of each year.
Houses of worship or nonprofit clubs or organizations that serve or sell foods or meals are exempt from the annual food license fee.
[Added 3-27-2017 by Ord. No. 03-17-04]
Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- MOBILE RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENT
- Any movable restaurant, truck, van, trailer, cart, or other movable unit, including hand-carried, portable containers in or on which food or beverage is transported, stored, or prepared for retail sale at temporary locations by a retail food establishment.
- POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS FOOD
- Any food which consists in whole or in part of milk or milk products, eggs, meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, edible crustacea, raw seed sprouts, heat-treated vegetables and vegetable products, or other ingredients, including synthetic ingredients in a form capable of supporting rapid and progressive growth of infectious or toxigenic microorganisms, or the slower growth of C. botulinum. The term does not include foods which have a pH level of 4.6 or below or a water activity (aw) value of 0.88 or less.
- RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENT
- Any fixed or mobile restaurant; coffee shop; cafeteria; short-order cafe; luncheonette; grill; tearoom; sandwich shop; soda fountain; tavern, bar; cocktail lounge; nightclub; roadside stand; industrial feeding establishment; snack bar; catering kitchen; commissary; box lunch establishment; retail bakery; meat market; delicatessen; grocery store; public food market, or any similar place in which food or drink is prepared for retail sale or service on the premises or elsewhere, and any other retail eating or drinking establishment or operation where food is served, handled or provided for the public for charge; provided, however, that retail food establishment shall not include foods or meals served or sold by houses of worship or nonprofit clubs or organizations.
It shall be unlawful for any retail food establishment, fixed, temporary or mobile, to serve potentially hazardous food products within the Township of Cranbury unless and until one or more supervisory personnel are certified in food safety and sanitation at least once every three years through a course of instruction approved by the State Department of Health.
If shall be the responsibility of the owner, operator or supervisory personnel in immediate charge of the food preparation or food handling at a retail food establishment, fixed or mobile, to provide proof of such program completion to the satisfaction of any authorized sanitary inspector requesting the same.
In addition to such other actions authorized by the New Jersey State Sanitary Code, the authorized sanitary inspector is hereby authorized to file a Summons and Complaint against any establishment which does not meet the requirements hereof. Said Complaint shall be in the name of the Township of Cranbury and shall be returnable before, and be under the authority and jurisdiction of the Municipal Court of the Township of Cranbury.
Any person who violates any provision of or order promulgated under this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days, or both. A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues.