[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Manorhaven 5-28-2015 by L.L. No. 4-2016. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The cost of fuel in the United States, especially in New York State and Nassau County, continues to rise.
It is well-documented that fossil fuel consumption by motor vehicles is one of the greatest contributing factors to many environmental problems facing us today.
One of the ways that government can help reduce costs and help the environment at the same time is through the purchase and use of hybrid, alternative fuel, and electric motor vehicles.
Hybrid gas-electric and alternative fuel motor vehicles, including electric only, ethanol, and compressed natural gas, are already available and being commercially marketed.
With rising fuel costs and better technology in the near future, such purchases of electric motor vehicles will become more cost effective as estimated miles-per-gallon for these vehicles greatly exceeds gasoline-only vehicles.
It is important that The Village of Manorhaven remains committed to saving the environment and taxpayer dollars.
Unless otherwise expressly stated, the following words and terms shall, for the purpose of this chapter, have the meanings indicated:
- ELECTRICAL VEHICLE
- Any motor vehicle that is registered with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles and authorized to operate on public and private highways, roads, and streets, and uses electrical energy stored on board for motive purposes.
- ELECTRIC VEHICLE INFRASTRUCTURE
- The structure, machinery, and equipment necessary and integral to support an electric vehicle, including the electrical conduit and premises wiring requirements for the installation of electric vehicle supply equipment.
- ELECTRIC VEHICLE SUPPLY EQUIPMENT (EVSE)
- The conductors, including the ungrounded, grounded, and equipment grounding conductors and the electric vehicle conductors, attachment plugs, and all other fittings, devices, power outlets, or apparatus installed specifically for purposes of delivering energy from the premises wiring to the electric vehicle, complying and conforming with National Electric Code Article 672 Standard.
- HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE
- A commercially available mass production vehicle originally equipped by the manufacturer with a combustion engine system together with an electric propulsion system that operates in an integrated manner.
Permitted uses are as follows:
The installation and maintenance of electric vehicle supply equipment and associated electric vehicle infrastructure, provided all equipment is located within an existing garage on the premises or compliant with front yard, side yard, and rear yard setback requirements.
This chapter shall take effect upon filing with the Department of State.