[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Springville 11-19-1979 as Ch. 124 of the 1979 Code; amended in its entirety at time of adoption of Code; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
Unless otherwise expressly stated, whenever used in this chapter, the following words shall have the meanings given to them in this section:
- DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Permission granted by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles to drive in the State of New York and to drive a taxicab.
- Any person having the control or use of one or more taxicabs used for hire upon the streets of the Village of Springville or engaged in the business of operating a taxicab.
- One or more persons of either sex, natural persons, corporations, partnerships, associations, joint-stock companies, societies and all other entities capable of being sued.
- Any street, avenue, bridge or public place in the Village of Springville.
- Any motor vehicle engaged in the business of carrying persons for hire, whether the same is operated from a street stand or subject to calls from a garage or otherwise operated for hire, except vehicles subject to the provisions of the Transportation Corporation Law.
- TAXICAB DRIVER
- Any person who drives a taxicab, whether such person is the owner of such taxicab or employed by the taxicab owner or operator.
Any person operating a taxi service in the Village of Springville is required to register with the Village Clerk of the Village of Springville. Such registration shall include the name of the owners of the taxicab and/or the entity operating the taxicab, the number of taxicabs being operated within the village, the street and mailing address for the entity as well as the business phone number of the entity operating the taxicab, the names of all drivers of the taxicabs as well as their street and mailing addresses and a copy of their driver's licenses issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles showing that they are properly licensed for operation of a taxicab.
Every person or operator of a taxicab is required to register any changes in the foregoing information with the Village Clerk within seven days of when such changes take place.
By exercising any of the rights granted under this chapter, each person operating a taxi service in the Village of Springville under § 163-2 hereof shall file with the Village Clerk a schedule of rates, which schedule shall become effective only upon approval thereof by the Board of Trustees, and pursuant to § 396-p of the General Business Law, said rates shall be posted in taxicabs.
Any person failing to comply with the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation, punishable by a maximum fine of $50 for a first offense and a maximum fine of $100 for subsequent offenses.
The Village Clerk shall provide a simplified form to be filled out by every person or operator of a taxicab containing the necessary information for registration.
Except as otherwise provided, any person failing to comply with the provisions of this chapter shall be guilty of a violation pursuant to the Penal Law of the State of New York, punishable by a fine not exceeding $250 or by imprisonment not exceeding 15 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. The continuation of an offense against the provisions of this chapter shall constitute, for each day the offense is continued, a separate and distinct offense hereunder.
In addition to any fine or imprisonment authorized by this chapter, the Village Board of the Village of Springville is also authorized to seek injunctive relief in a court of competent jurisdiction to stop the person or operator from operating the taxicab within the Village of Springville.