[Adopted 10-30-1973 as §§ 1-2 and 1-3 of the 1973 Code]
For the purpose of this Code, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CLERK or TOWNSHIP CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly elected pursuant to law.
- An organizational unit of the Township government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the Township government assigned to such organizational unit by the Township Committee.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it is adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it remains in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- The Township of Andover in the County of Sussex and State of New Jersey.
- TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE or COMMITTEE
- The duly elected Committeemen of the Township.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses, and the future the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural, and the plural the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, and if the last day is a Sunday, a legal holiday, or a day on which the offices of the Township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.