[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Clay 9-18-2006 by L.L. No. 9-2006. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Zoning — See Ch. 230.
This chapter shall be known as "Adult Uses" and shall consist of the following text.
The intent of this chapter is to preserve the character and quality of life in Town neighborhoods and business areas by controlling documented harmful and adverse secondary effects of a concentration or proliferation of adult uses on surrounding areas such as decreased property values, attraction of transients, parking and traffic problems, increased crime (including prostitution, rape and assaults in the vicinity of such uses), loss of business for surrounding non-adult-use businesses and deterioration of neighborhoods. Also, the intent of this chapter to maintain property values, prevent crime, protect retail trade, restrict minors' access to adult uses, and maintain the general welfare and safety for Town of Clay residents.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ADULT USE ESTABLISHMENT
- A private establishment or any part thereof which presents any of the following entertainment, services or sales or rentals on one or more occasions:
- (1) Person(s) who appears in a state of nudity.
- (2) Live performances which are characterized by the exposure of any specified anatomical area(s) or by the performance or depicting of any specified sexual activity(ies).
- (3) Films, motion pictures, videocassettes, slides or other photographic reproductions which are characterized by the depiction or description of any specified sexual activity(ies) or any specified anatomical area(s).
- (1) Offers accommodations to the public for any form of consideration and which provides patrons with closed-circuit television transmissions, films, motion pictures, videocassettes, slides or other photographic or visual reproductions which are characterized by the depiction or description of any specified sexual activity(ies) or specified anatomical area(s) and has a sign or other means of visual display of information which is visible from the public right-of-way and which advertises the availability of this adult type of photographic reproductions.
- (2) Offers a sleeping room for rent for a period of time that is less than 10 hours.
- (3) Allows a tenant or occupant of a sleeping room to sub-rent the room to another(s) for a period of time that is less than 10 hours.
- (1) Less than completely and opaquely covered human genitals, pubic region, buttocks, anus or female breast(s) below a point immediately above the top of the areole(s); or
- (2) Human male genitals in a state of sexual stimulation or arousal, or in a discernibly turgid state, even if completely and opaquely covered.
- (1) Masturbation, sexual intercourse, oral copulation or sodomy.
- (2) Fondling or other erotic touching of human genitals, pubic regions, buttocks, anus or female breasts.
- (3) Masochism, erotic or sexually oriented torture or flagellation, beating or the infliction of pain.
- (4) Erotic touching, fondling or other such contact between an animal and a human being.
Adult use establishment shall be a permitted use in any nonresidential zoning district subject to all regulations therein, and further provided that:
An adult use may not be located within 1,000 feet of an adjacent municipality.
An adult use may not be located within 1,000 feet of another adult use, or on the same lot or parcel of land with another adult use.
An adult use may not be located or operated in a building or structure which contains another adult use.
An adult use may not be located within or within 1,000 feet of the Clay Industrial Park.
An adult use may not be located within 500 feet of any County road located within the Woodard Industrial Park.
For the purposes of this chapter, measurements shall be made in a straight line, without regard to intervening structures or objects, from the nearest exterior wall of the building or structure in which an adult use is located to:
The nearest property line of the lot or parcel of land on which a religious institution, or public or private elementary or secondary school or licensed child day-care center is located in the Town of Clay.
The nearest boundary of a public park or a residential zoning district of the Town of Clay.
The nearest exterior wall of the structures in which another adult use is located.
Where the adult use is contained within a structure in a multiuse building containing two or more businesses separated by common walls, or in an enclosed shopping mall, the distances in Subsections G(1), (2) and (3) above shall be measured from the nearest interior or exterior wall enclosing the adult use location within the shopping center structure or enclosed mall.
All adult uses shall be conducted in an enclosed building. Regardless of location or distance, adult uses shall be arranged and conducted so that no visual observation can be made from the exterior of an enclosed building containing an adult use therein of any specified anatomical area or any specified sexual activity by virtue of any display in or on the building which depicts, exhibits or shows said area or activity. This prohibition shall apply to any display, decoration, sign or window or other opening, or any other means or method of visual portrayal of information or advertisement.
Any adult use establishment lawfully operating on the effective date of this chapter which is in violation of the requirements of this chapter shall be deemed a nonconforming use subject to the provisions of § 230-23, except as otherwise provided herein.
An adult use business lawfully operating as a conforming use shall not be rendered a nonconforming use by the location, subsequent to the lawful operation of such adult use, of a business, a religious institution, public or private elementary or secondary school, public park, licensed day-care center or a residential zoning district within 1,000 feet of the adult use business.
This chapter shall take effect immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State.