Town of Wilton, CT
Fairfield County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Meeting of the Town of Wilton 10-8-1970; amended in its entirety 2-21-2004. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
[Amended 3-7-2005]
A commission of five members and three alternate members, to be known as the "Wilton Historic District and Historic Property Commission," to supersede the Wilton Historic District Commission, hereby is established pursuant to Sections 7-147a through 7-147k and Sections 7-147p through 7-147y of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended, to establish and otherwise administer an historic district or districts and historic property or properties for the purpose of promoting the educational, cultural, economic and general welfare of the public through the preservation and protection of the distinctive characteristics of buildings, structures, places, surroundings, sites, objects, neighborhoods and their environs associated with the history of or indicative of a period or style of architecture of the municipality, of the state or of the nation.
The members of the Commission shall be known as "Commissioners," all of whom shall be appointed by the Board of Selectmen, and none of whom shall hold any salaried office of the Town.
Commissioners shall be sworn to the faithful performance of their duties and shall be appointed for the term of five years commencing on the first day of December. Alternates shall be sworn to the faithful performance of their duties and shall be appointed for a term of three years commencing on the first day of December.
In the event of any vacancy upon the Commission, the Board of Selectmen shall promptly appoint a Commissioner to fill the vacancy for the unexpired portion of the term.
Commissioners shall serve without compensation, except that their actual expenses and disbursements, where incurred with the approval of the Board of Selectmen and in the performance of their duties, shall be paid from the Town treasury.
The Commission, annually at the first meeting in December, shall elect one of its number to be Chairman, one of its number to be Vice Chairman and one of its number to be Clerk.
The Commission shall make written annual reports of its doings to the Board of Selectmen.
[Amended 3-7-2005]
The Commission hereby is empowered to adopt regulations from time to time to implement the provisions of this chapter. The Commission shall have the authority and act in all respects as permitted by Sections 7-147a through 7-147k and Sections 7-147p through 7-147y, inclusive, of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended, and such other statutes as in the case made and provided.
[Amended 3-7-2005]
In order to perpetuate, preserve and protect those significant buildings, structures, places, surroundings, sites, objects, neighborhoods and their environs which are indicative or characteristic of a period or style of architecture, or significant in the history, architecture, archaeology and culture associated with the Town of Wilton, State of Connecticut or of the United States and the real property used in connection therewith; and in order to preserve appropriate settings for such buildings, structures, sites, objects and neighborhoods, or to preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of buildings, structures, sites, objects, neighborhoods and their environs, there are hereby established within the Town of Wilton the following historic districts and properties:
A. 
Historic District No. 1. Said property, located at 150 Danbury Road, shall include the following buildings, known as the David Lambert House, Lambert Overseer's Cottage, Kent School House, Wilton Railroad Station, Hurlbutt Street General Store and Post Office, Davenport Barn, Cannon General Store, Corn Crib, and Greek Revival Privy, and the land upon which said buildings are situated, which properties are more particularly described in Volume 47 at Page 118 and Volume 48 at Page 111 of the Wilton Land Records, excepting therefrom the premises conveyed to the State of Connecticut by deed recorded in Volume 88 at Page 412 of the Wilton Land Records.
B. 
Historic District No. 2. Said district shall include the following buildings and property: the Old Town Hall building together with the property upon which it stands, which premises is more particularly described at Volume 5, Page 149, of the Wilton Land Records; the Wilton Congregational Church buildings together with the property upon which they stand, which premises are more particularly described in Volume 88 at Page 393 and Volume 92 at Page 541 of the Wilton Land Records; the property together with the buildings and improvements thereon more particularly described in Volume 134 at Page 187 and Volume 135 at Page 186 of the Wilton Land Records; property together with the buildings and improvements thereon more particularly described in Volume 77 at Page 211 of the Wilton Land Records; property together with the buildings and improvements thereon more particularly described in Volume 55 at Page 477 of the Wilton Land Records; and property together with the buildings and improvements thereon more particularly described in Volume 49 at Page 399 of the Wilton Land Records.
C. 
Historic District No. 3. This district purposefully omitted. Previously the location of the Raymond-Fitch House which was relocated in 2001 to 224 Danbury Road and is incorporated into Historic District No. 5.
D. 
Historic District No. 4. Said property shall include the property together with the buildings and improvements thereon known as the Hurlbutt Street Schoolhouse, more particularly described in Volume 46 at Page 518 and Volume 48 at Page 31 of the Wilton Land Records.
E. 
Historic District No. 5. Said property shall include the property within the boundaries beginning at the point of intersection of Danbury Road (CT Route 7) and Deerfield Road, marked by Connecticut Highway Department monument, proceed northwesterly along the street line of Danbury Road 37E59'50" for 102.35 feet, 30E24' for 75.33 feet, and 21E39' for 71.93 feet; thence, northeasterly along the property line of Map #57, Lot #28 72E43'40" for 228.78 feet; thence, southeasterly along the property lines of Map #57, Lot #31 and Map #57, Lot #30 12E16'55'' for 317.86 feet to a monument; thence, southwesterly along the street line of Deerfield Road 79E48'20" for 132.04 feet to the point and place of beginning; together with the buildings and improvements thereon, known as the Raymond-Fitch House with well-house, Burt Barn, Betts-Sturges-Blackmar House with well-house, Abbott Barn, and Abbott Blacksmith Shop and more particularly described in Volume 859 at Page 20 of the Wilton Land Records.
F. 
Historic District No. 6.
[Added 5-21-2007]
(1) 
Said district shall include the following properties, together with the buildings and improvements thereon, as depicted on the Town of Wilton’s Tax Map 12, 2005: Lot #103, more particularly described in Volume 1624 at Page 133 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #104, more particularly described in Volume 1475 at Page 236 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #93, more particularly described in Volume 11 at Page 155 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #92, more particularly described in Volume 830 at Page 1 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #87, more particularly described in Volume 1767 at Page 98 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #97, more particularly described in Volume 1176 at Page 204 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #88, more particularly described in Volume 1186 at Page 324 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #89, more particularly described in Volume 1659 at Page 290 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #96, more particularly described in Volume 1437 at Page 188 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #90, more particularly described in Volume 666 at Page 110 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #95, more particularly described in Volume 1512 at Page 47 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #91, more particularly described in Volume 754 at Page 328 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #94, more particularly described in Volume 207 at Page 162 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #101, more particularly described in Volume 753 at Page 333 of the Wilton Land Records; and Lot #102, more particularly described in Volume 945 at Page 252 of the Wilton Land Records.
(2) 
Map No. 11: Lot #15, more particularly described in Volume 428 at Page 253 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #16, more particularly described in Volume 1878 at Page 28 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #17, more particularly described in Volume 1819 at Page 174 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #18, more particularly described in Volume 946 at Page 66 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #19, more particularly described in Volume 453 at Page 147 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #20, more particularly described in Volume 1048 at Page 1 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #21, more particularly described in Volume 474 at Page 244 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #22, more particularly described in Volume 673 at Page 159 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #23, more particularly described in Volume 1760 at Page 30 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #24, more particularly described in Volume 1553 at Page 146 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #25, more particularly described in Volume 1803 at Page 200 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #26, more particularly described in Volume 240 at Page 249 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #27, more particularly described in Volume 1799 at Page 191 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #28, more particularly described in Volume 161 at Page 140 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #29, more particularly described in Volume 2024 at Page 309 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #30, more particularly described in Volume 1975 at Page 191 of the Wilton Land Records; Lot #38, more particularly described in Volume 1792 at Page 44 of the Wilton Land Records; and Lot #41, more particularly described in Volume 105 at Page 693 of the Wilton Land Records.
[Added 5-3-2010]
The resolution of the Town Meeting adopted June 5, 1963, establishing a Historic District Commission is repealed and the Commission hereby established shall be the successor thereto.
Nothing in this chapter shall affect any right, interest, claim, obligation, liability or defense of, by or against the Town of whatever description and whether or not matured, existing at the effective date of this chapter.
The Town Clerk shall certify the adoption of this chapter and cause the same to be published as required by law: and this chapter shall take effect 15 days after such certification and publication.
If a regular member of the Commission is absent or has a conflict of interest, the Chairman of the Commission shall designate an alternate to act, choosing alternates in rotation so that they shall act as nearly equal a number of times as possible. Composition, appointment, and compensation of alternates shall be the same as for regular Commission members, which are more specifically described in §§ 18-2 to 18-5 of this chapter.